Where Do You Feed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question Where Do You Feed?

Hello! I've been lurking for quite a while but am coming out to ask a pretty basic question.

Odysseus has been on a franken diet for 8 months now (just two weeks after he adopted us - took right to it!). Gobbles it right up or plays with it...typical child.

He's a very un-picky eater and can eat whole, franken, or cut. But with the cut, he typically gives me a very insulting look, haha. I try to stay away from "bite size" pieces so we can keep his jaw strong. So the first two it is.

But with whole and franken comes great mess. We live in an apartment and just moved a couple of days ago. Typically what I would do is put his food on a piece of plastic in our skinny kitchen and he would eat there (and only sometimes drag it on the carpet). But since we have moved, he constantly puts the food on the BRAND NEW carpet. And it's a rental. Yikes! He's done this before, but would stop when I would put his food back.

I'm thinking he does this because the food scoots too much on plastic. It's smooth and ribless.

Anyway, just trying to get ideas on where everyone feeds their kitties? He's an indoor only kitty and is only allowed outside with his leash and collar, so outside isn't really an option.

What I'm thinking I'm going to end up doing is getting a sample carpet and having that be his plate and then storing it to the side when not in use (I'm sure the blood will soak into the carpet) but I would like to see other ideas first. I've been searching threads for this for a while but couldn't come across that much.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Jr. Cat

Here are some ideas from a previous thread:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw...g-surface.html
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Cat

I got the idea to feed my cats in individual crates from AuntieCrazy, and it was the best idea ever!

We now have small wire dog crates, and everyone comes running to get into them when we call out that it's dinner time.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the link - I had come across that before but it didn't really help. He doesn't use plates (takes them right off and drags them to the carpet). I was thinking of getting a carpet mat (like a welcome mat but for interior) but I like the crate idea! Thanks!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Banned

Yep, four of my six cats are crated during meal times; the last two eat off an elevated table and have never, ever, not once in five years, tried to take the food off their table. (Good kitties!)

An added advantage to crating them is that they feel more secure during dinner, and my thinnest cat, Rachel, is now relaxed enough to eat all of what I give her, instead of gulping a few bites and then scurrying away. She finally gained enough to completely alleviate my concerns, and has remained at a good weight for years now.

Good luck!

AC
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Hey brez,

I would just suggest trying something other than plastic. I would guess that the reason he doesn't like it is because it holds onto scents REALLY well - plates and the like do not - so he may think the plastic really stinks. Try a very large, shallow dinner plate or maybe even a meat platter. Then you may have to watch him eat and correct him when he takes his food off his plate (all it takes is a little touch a la Caesar Milan) but eventually he should learn to stay on his plate. It just takes some time and determination on both your parts. So, I'd suggest trying to feed him when you have the time to supervise him and help him learn to use his plate

Good luck!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyuh View Post
Hey brez,

I would just suggest trying something other than plastic. I would guess that the reason he doesn't like it is because it holds onto scents REALLY well - plates and the like do not - so he may think the plastic really stinks. Try a very large, shallow dinner plate or maybe even a meat platter. Then you may have to watch him eat and correct him when he takes his food off his plate (all it takes is a little touch a la Caesar Milan) but eventually he should learn to stay on his plate. It just takes some time and determination on both your parts. So, I'd suggest trying to feed him when you have the time to supervise him and help him learn to use his plate

Good luck!

Thank you for the tip on the plastic! I didn't realize that. For a while, I was only feeding him on a rug and then switched back to plastic when we moved. That could be the culprit on this new behavior.

I'll probably switch back to the carpet. Purchased 2 mats for really cheap at the hardware store...should go back and get them again.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Hey brez, you're welcome!

Do you mean to put a plate on the carpet? Cuz if not, I'm very confused, hehe.

I think in the future I am going to utilize Auntie Crazy's method and feed them in crates. I just need to figure out where to get them here in Europe and have the extra cash to do it.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

You know the mats that people put out in front of their doors? I have one of those, but made out of carpet material. That was his plate (VERY inexpensive and I got two in the package). He NEVER eats from a plate and always drags the whole thing off of it... I got sick of it and came across that. Brilliant!

When we moved, I went back to the plastic because the space wasn't practical for that mat. But I really like the idea of crating.

I think what we're going to do is actually put a baby gate up in the kitchen and put a fresh mat in there. He can easily jump over the gate, but I don't think he'll do that with food in his mouth. He doesn't carry anything for very long.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

I don't believe the cat is pulling the food onto the floor because he doesn't like some faint smell that might be coming off the plate, not at all. Cats do this all the time and it's likely a holdover from having to run and hide with their prey items so they could eat in peace.

That said, I would be really reluctant to feed on some type of carpet. How will you clean that thing? It's going to get real nasty real fast. It'll become an smorgasbord for bacteria and will probably become pretty stinky itself; it's doubtful the cat will mind, but I'm betting you will.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page