kittens on raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat

kittens on raw

Cooper is about 10-12 weeks old, not sure because I got him from rescue after he was dumped out of a car and someone who saw, caught him and took him to the shelter and then rescue saved him. I've had him for about 2 weeks. He was really thin when I brought him home but over the last 2 weeks he has gone from 1 lb 10 oz to 3 lbs 12 oz. I have him on Wellness canned food 2x a day ( he eats one 3 oz can) and Wellness core dry free feeding because he was so thin. He is a very nice weight now though.

I tried him on some cut up chicken a few days after I got him and he gobbled it down but later that evening threw it up, this is the same chicken I feed raw to my dogs. I haven't tried since. At this point I'm chalking it up to stress.

I have fed my dogs raw prey model for years but this is my first kitty in a long time. Not sure if I should just start him on ground raw meaty bones like I did my puppy or if I should stick with boneless cut up.

Anyone have any experience raw feeding kittens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Cat Addict

hmm only time I had kittens throw up raw was when they had dry also.. dry takes longer to digest and causes the meat to "sit' and they usually send it back up.. maybe try it after a night of no dry out? also make sure the meat is warm, float it in warm water, some cats send back up cold meat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Cat

I have had them bring it back up if they gulp it down or eat more than the stomach can process...other than that I have had no problems.

I actually do as BB suggested for some and make sure the meat is warm first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I didn't think about the problem of him eating it while also having dry. Good point. It also wasn't really warm.

I want to get him off dry anyway. I'll try giving raw to him in the morning after taking the dry away.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper's mom View Post
I didn't think about the problem of him eating it while also having dry. Good point. It also wasn't really warm.

I want to get him off dry anyway. I'll try giving raw to him in the morning after taking the dry away.
I'm not sure about the digestive track for a kitten, but an adult cat is about 12 hours - as in, don't feed raw after feeding dry for 12 hours.

Obviously a kitten is going to be a lot less time. Maybe you should try wet food until the dry passes?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Tom Cat

We found that Wicket threw things back up if we didn't cut them up small enough at the beginning, because he would chew off huge chunks and swallow them in big pieces. Once we cut up his food a bit smaller and he chewed off smaller pieces it was fine--now I just give it to both of them straight out of the fridge, no warming, no problem!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Senior Cat

We always transition kittens to raw with canned food. First few weeks they get small chunks of meat in canned, then slowly larger chunks of meat and less canned. I find this method helps reduce vomiting, and fast eaters. I have transitioned half a dozen kittens this way, and never had a problem.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby View Post
We always transition kittens to raw with canned food. First few weeks they get small chunks of meat in canned, then slowly larger chunks of meat and less canned. I find this method helps reduce vomiting, and fast eaters. I have transitioned half a dozen kittens this way, and never had a problem.
I started doing this with Sasha when I first brought him home at 11 weeks. I outright started out with no dry at all. I have not fed kibble to any of my cats for over a year now. Now, he is eating bones, organs, eggs, you name it. He prefers the raw to the canned hands down. He only gets raw in the morning and canned for his 3 other meals. Combined, he eats about 9 oz of food a day.

I don't warm the food for any of my cats and he's used to eating it straight out the fridge like the rest of my cats. He's gained about 1 lbs in a bit over 2 weeks. Since he's REALLY active, I am giving him vitamins in his food and some olive oil once a day to boost his weight gain. He's still a little bit behind where he should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page