No More Straight-up Beef for Samantha... aka Beef Allergy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

No More Straight-up Beef for Samantha... aka Beef Allergy?

I've been debating whether Samantha has a beef allergy for some time now. She eats and likes several canned beef flavors, including Merrick's Cowboy Cookout, and even the 95% Beef B.G.. She has no problems afterwards. But giving her straight-up beef, like from a steak, almost always makes her throw up.

So two nights ago, Sammy gave me a bit of a scare (ok a lot of a scare, but don't tell her that!). I decided to make nachos at like 10 pm, and I got out some raw ground beef that I was going to cook up for them. Alice and Rochelle love beef, so I gave them each a tiny piece, and I was going for the treat bag to give Samantha a non-beef treat (because I didn't want to deal with cat vomit at 10 pm...)...I turn back around, and Samantha is up on the counter, trying to steal a piece of the ground beef! She only managed to get one bite before I could chase her off...but apparently one bite was all it took...

About 30 minutes later, Samantha is laying on the couch watching TV next to me, and she suddenly sits up and starts making the vomit noise...but it's different, it almost sounded like she was gagging and her tongue was sticking out. So I rush her to the kitchen, and she throws up...and then again...and again. About every 5 minutes after that, she was gagging or throwing up. The whole thing lasted about a half hour, and she completely emptied her stomach (I even saw a bit of bile, it got so bad). She was so miserable, and just leaned against me on the kitchen floor the whole time. I was so worried to leave her, I just kept gently petting her and talking softly, I didn't know what else to do for her.

After a looooong drink of water and about 10 minutes later, Sammy was back up and running around again. I gave her a tiny bit of canned later on, mixed with water, so she could get back some of the water and nutrients she lost. She's been fine since. So no more beef for my Sammycat.

Does this sound like a beef allergy? It's strange to me that she can eat the 95% Beef B.G. canned, but can't handle a piece of steak or ground beef. In any case, I will NEVER let her near a piece of real beef again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Tom Cat

I once gave Rocky Evo beef canned food, and directly after eating it, he threw up. I haven't given him beef since, and he hasn't had a problem. I think those kinds of situations like you're bringing up, i think it's a direct correlation to an allergy. Plus, cows really aren't in the cat's food chain.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
I once gave Rocky Evo beef canned food, and directly after eating it, he threw up. I haven't given him beef since, and he hasn't had a problem. I think those kinds of situations like you're bringing up, i think it's a direct correlation to an allergy. Plus, cows really aren't in the cat's food chain.
Thanks for the reply Rocky. Samantha has eaten the EVO Beef and she enjoys that too, and again can eat it with absolutely no problems like the other beef canned I mentioned. Thats why I'm so lost as whether this is an allergy or not. You'd think if she was allergic to beef, it would be all beef...not just the stuff that comes from the meat department of a grocery store. It confuses me and makes my brain hurt. But you are most right...the cow is certainly not a part of the cat's food chain...not a biggie if I can't feed it anymore right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Premier Cat

Oooo...that does sound scary! I glad to Sammy is ok now. It sounds like an allergy, but it is strange that she doesn't react that way to the foods you mentioned. Perhaps it's only triggered when the beef is "concentrated" (for lack of a better word).

Quote:
Plus, cows really aren't in the cat's food chain.
Right you are...as is the case for chicken and many other cat food flavors. For that reason, I've always wondered why we don't see mouse-flavored cat food!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Oooo...that does sound scary! I glad to Sammy is ok now. It sounds like an allergy, but it is strange that she doesn't react that way to the foods you mentioned. Perhaps it's only triggered when the beef is "concentrated" (for lack of a better word).
Thanks Susan. I had that thought too, but it just didn't make sense to me. Honestly, an allergy is the only thing I can think of that fits.

Quote:
For that reason, I've always wondered why we don't see mouse-flavored cat food!
Haha, good question Susan!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
Thanks for the reply Rocky. Samantha has eaten the EVO Beef and she enjoys that too, and again can eat it with absolutely no problems like the other beef canned I mentioned. Thats why I'm so lost as whether this is an allergy or not. You'd think if she was allergic to beef, it would be all beef...not just the stuff that comes from the meat department of a grocery store. It confuses me and makes my brain hurt. But you are most right...the cow is certainly not a part of the cat's food chain...not a biggie if I can't feed it anymore right?
Yeah, i've wondered if it was just specifically the Evo that he didn't like, and perhaps i should try the Weruva beef; but, i just don't want to run the risk of him getting sick like that again. I would rather just feed foods that i know he's happy with, and that he's not allergic to Humans also develop allergies over time, so perhaps the same is applicable with cat's, and that's what happened with your cat?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:

Right you are...as is the case for chicken and many other cat food flavors. For that reason, I've always wondered why we don't see mouse-flavored cat food!
Exactly! I would love to see more proteins in the mainstream foods, like rabbit, quail, mice, and other things a cat would want to eat in the wild.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Humans also develop allergies over time, so perhaps the same is applicable with cat's, and that's what happened with your cat?
I'm not thinking so, only because she just had some 95% Beef B.G. last night (she stole it from Alice...apparently turkey was just not good enough!), and she was 100% fine, the picture of health. She can eat beef canned, just not raw beef, so Susan's "condensed beef" idea is making the most sense right now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
I'm not thinking so, only because she just had some 95% Beef B.G. last night (she stole it from Alice...apparently turkey was just not good enough!), and she was 100% fine, the picture of health. She can eat beef canned, just not raw beef, so Susan's "condensed beef" idea is making the most sense right now.
Yeah, the condensed beef thing makes the most sense for your cat's case. I guess Rocky just has a complete allergy to beef then because it was "condensed beef" that he ate when he threw up. I just wonder if different brands would cause the same problem for him, but ultimately, i don't think i want to run that risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page