Will raw food help with plaque? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Will raw food help with plaque?

I took Krystal to the vet a few weeks ago because she had a bad case of vomiting up some canned food. The vet also checked her teeth, and I was startled to see that Krystal had such bad plaque. I feel really guilty that I haven't been checking her teeth regularly.

I have decided to switch to raw food because I feel it's a more natural diet for her, but she is having a very hard time keeping it down. I haven't started with bones or anything like that, since she is vomiting even small amounts of raw chicken thighs. Right now, she is having Natural Balance Venison mixed with ground rabbit, and small amounts of raw chicken (10-20 grams/day).

My question is: Has anyone noticed a difference in their cat's plaque after switching from canned to raw? Will the difference be even more noticeable after I start giving her bones?

I searched the forums but I couldn't find an answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Cat Addict

I noticed a big difference when I started them on chicken wing tips,.to strengthen their jaws. neck bones will also work for dental. Maybe you could count this toward their bone in and add it as a snack/treat as you transition. there are others here been doing raw longer that can help more though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBlack View Post
I noticed a big difference when I started them on chicken wing tips,.to strengthen their jaws.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have thought about adding bone during the transition, but I wasn't sure if it was too soon. I think I'll try the wing tip. So that's the very last joint on the wing, right? The kind of triangle-looking joint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Cat Addict

yep last joint, and warm it to body temp. most prefer it that way and lessens the chance of throwing up. I just put mine in sandwich baggies and float it in warm water a few minutes.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, I'm excited to try them! Well, for Krystal to try them, haha. I just realized I should have posted this in the Raw forum...whoops. Still learning the ropes here.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Cat

I haven't got my kittens on raw yet but my dogs have been for 4 years and our vet asked me once why my dogs teeth are so clean lol. They have never had teeth cleaning and 2 of them are over 7
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper's mom View Post
I haven't got my kittens on raw yet but my dogs have been for 4 years and our vet asked me once why my dogs teeth are so clean lol. They have never had teeth cleaning and 2 of them are over 7
same took my 3 year old dog in and my vet commented about the clean teeth.. and also commented on how nice my cats teeth are, he is 18 and not even a bit of swelling or redness to the gums and has all his teeth. she hasn't looked at the rest of their teeth yet, but bet we get the same result.

and I got the added benifit that I don't have to use a toothbrush on them
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Cool Cat

I don't know if a ground premade like Nature's Variety will help. I have my cats on Primal (another premade) and they have good teeth, but they're so young that it may just be too early for plaque buildup. The premades do have bone in them, but since it's ground, I'm not sure if it does much for their teeth (but of course you still get the other health benefits of raw even with a premade).

Adding meaty bones like chicken wings is reportedly pretty effective though, as Botany said. I try to give those to my cats now and then to help keep their teeth clean. I keep meaning to start giving them those more often.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Senior Cat

When I switched Rajah over to prey model raw, it made a huge differance for his dental health.

Before (on 1/3 raw)

After (3-4 months later)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Cat Addict

Wow, furryfriends that is amazing! Thanks for posting those pix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page