Question on using frozen meat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question on using frozen meat

Hi! Sorry if this question was already answered, but just to make sure...

Can we use like bulk frozen meats to make raw foods?

This is because we live very far away from a good butcher and we cannot find as much variety as we can from this food supplier which sells bulk raw chicken, quail, duck, rabbit frozen which is just 15 mins drive away from where we live.

Is it safe to defrost these eg. 1kg bags of chicken fillets, giblets, organs, legs, thighs etc. and make raw food for the kittens and then freeze them again if that's ok for the kittens. We are currently buying commercially prepared raw food (in sausages) for the kittens and because they don't eat such large portions, it's hard to defrost an easy portion as it's the freshness that we have problems with.

Hope you guys can help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Cat Addict

yes you can thaw, portion and refreeze. And if you can find someone who will give you the freezer burned stuff they can't sell, alot of cats don't care and will eat it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Hi, Sephie!

Yes, you can thaw, portion and refreeze meats intended for cats. To keep nutrient degradation as minimal as possible, I only defrost it as much as is necessary to break or cut the food apart.

To BotanyBlack's second point - there are different comfort levels with that kind of food acquisition behavior. While some folks are comfortable with the practice, I wouldn't (don't) feed my cats anything I haven't personally sourced myself (i.e. no second-hand, freezer-burnt, unwanted, etc. meat).

Best regards.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Premier Cat

I asked this question some time ago and the general consensus was that freezing degrades nutrients. The more time you thaw/refreeze the more it degrades the product.

If you are just thawing it, cutting it into more usable portions and then refreezing once I don't think it should be a huge problem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for your reply guys!!

The biggest problem as I mentioned above but now going into detail, was that we had doubts about the freshness of the pre-packaged raw that we bought. Normally we would defrost the frozen raw in the fridge for one hour and then slice through to portion the raw into mealsized bites and were careful to freeze everything back again in the freezer.

Eventhough we took much care to make sure it was not completely defrosted and that it was freshly defrosted from the freezer, it still had that slightly 'off' smell which made us think that the raw meat wasn't very fresh in the first place before it was frozen. I am also careful not to defrost and refreeze the big portion of raw too many times or it'd degrade the meat so we normally just defrost it once to portion it out and put the portions back into the freezer until the day they eat it (and normally I thaw it in the fridge or in a bowl of cold water - the portions are in watertight freezer bags).

Hence why we wanted to make our own raw diet so we ensure how fresh the meat is as and when it's made!

Thank you all again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sephie; 07-11-2011 at 03:43 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to KittieLover Send a message via Skype™ to KittieLover
Hey Sephie!

Yes, you can defrost meat like chicken fillets, organs, giblets, etc.
You can also refreeze those meats aswell

I'm starting to give my kits raw aswell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page