They're driving me freaking batty with their weird eating behavior! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

They're driving me freaking batty with their weird eating behavior!

Seriously, I love these two dummies, but it's like they've figured out how to push my buttons in the biggest way! Both of them are on raw, both thriving, but it's like they choose polar opposite "moods" to be in about what they're eating.

Atlas, who used to eat ANYthing, is now being pickier than Wicket. Wicket is going through "food moods" where he'll only eat one thing at a time and Atlas is sporadically doing the same thing. They will never eat the same kind of food, it's bizarre!

yesterday afternoon, I gave them beef strips. Atlas ate a couple of bites and then walked off. Wicket ate one and then walked off. Both of them came back a few minutes later. Wicket lay down in front of his bowl and just looked at me. Atlas ate another strip and then walked off.

Before bed was pork chops. Kitten wouldn't touch them after the first one--ate it and then walked away. Wicket ate a few and then left. Re-refridgerated them until this morning, when Wicket finished the rest of them but the kitten, who hadn't had anything really since yesterday afternoon, refused them entirely. He got beef patty with a bit of organ mixed in and polished it off in ten seconds. Wicket looked at his and lay down in front of his bowl with accusing eyes and hasn't left the kitchen since, but still refuses to eat the portion that's there.

They've been doing this for days now, where one of them will eat something and the other will refuse it and vice versa, then they switch at the next meal. I honestly have no idea who is getting how much of what anymore and it's driving me nuts! Sometimes Wicket will crunch through a chicken wing like it's the food of the gods, and other times he'll look at me in disgust while the kitten happily munches away.

Help! I don't know how to get them both back on some sort of a routine and I know they're getting *enough* to eat but I'm getting frustrated because I can't just portion out the right amount of what they're meant to be getting (in terms of organ, bone, etc) and trust that they're actually eating it because they're messing around so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/Fyreflie1980/

Last edited by Fyreflie; 07-12-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: photo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Cat

We have a few cats that will walk away from food. We say "okay, you don't want to eat, you don't eat!". I know thats taboo for cats mostly, but I think raw cats are different. We have left our cats over 24hrs without food, no one got sick.. angry that they didn't get fed? Sure. No sick.. but we've been raw for years now.

It's a hard road to walk, on the edge of making them pickier or letting them tell you they're full/etc. Do you re-offer the same meal for dinner if they refuse to eat? That's what we do. Then if they miss that one, their next meat would be something we know they would eat.. with a side of the thing they didn't want to. LOL

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah that's exactly what we've been doing--after 15 minutes, picking up and putting back in the fridge. If they start picking at it, it stays down longer. I would crate them to eat but the kitten still has a mid-feed bathroom break, eating makes his bowels move, and I don't want him to get the idea it's okay to go in the crate. If I crate only Wicket he doesn't eat because he's too interested in what the kitten is doing out of his sight (same if we separate them into different rooms, they just play along the door and refuse to eat until we let them out. I'm sure if they were hungry enough they would eat but it seems almost like they prefer to graze....

The other thing is, the weather has been really hot so maybe they're not as hungry? I'm worried about them getting enough water so every so often I'll put down a water/can "gravy" so that they will lap it up and get some water. They haven't had that for a couple of days and are still being picky but they're certainly behaving normally so whatever. Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page