Remind me never to buy kidney again - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Remind me never to buy kidney again

So I've been getting brave and adding more organs to the diet. Oh lord but why did I choose kidney? It's got to be the stinkiest organ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Cat Addict

See...the stink isn't the part that bothers me...it's the "filling" inside. It makes me sad.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to KittieLover Send a message via Skype™ to KittieLover
Oooohhh, that's got to stink! The main bit what bothers me aswell is the filling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Cat

It is gross, isn't it? YUCK. It and liver both make my hands itch like crazy after I'm done.

Sadly, if you feed raw, kidney is the easiest to find "other" organ. We can't find anything else to use (brains, testies, ovaries, etc).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby View Post
It is gross, isn't it? YUCK. It and liver both make my hands itch like crazy after I'm done.

Sadly, if you feed raw, kidney is the easiest to find "other" organ. We can't find anything else to use (brains, testies, ovaries, etc).
I hate the smell of kidney, I hate removing the waxy interior, and I have to chop Ralph's kidney very fine and mix it 40/60 with some other meat so he can eat it without getting sick.

I would give a LOT to be able to find another organ to serve!

AC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Seriously eh? Asides from liver, it's the easiest to find. I did see gizzards but since I'm just starting out with the organs, didn't know how they'd like the texture. I also saw pancreas too. I wanted to avoid pig but it seemed at that particular place, they had more pig organs available than other. I was able to get chicken liver but got the pig kidneys since that was the only one available. Ew.

Cutting out the interior was okay, but the stink really turned me off. On the other hand, Jack seem to take immense interest in it as I was butchering.

Since I'm here, might as well ask. Some of you feed quail eggs. Do you feed those cooked or raw and do you feed one per meal?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Cool Cat

Try cutting it up partially frozen, cuts down on smell and texture for you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Cat Addict

Kidney doesn't bother me. Now, uterus I really don't like dealing with.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
Since I'm here, might as well ask. Some of you feed quail eggs. Do you feed those cooked or raw and do you feed one per meal?
I feed quail eggs twice a week, in the mornings (eggs are purrfect for breakfast! ). I feed them raw (no shells, although you can if you want...my girls don't like them), and usually give something else with it, like a hunk of meat or gizzards.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Cat Addict

Bleeh! I have only worked with liver, which is nasty and messy - I think I will spare myself kidney based on this! Partly frozen is a great suggestion, it makes for more accurate portioning, too...

I think I will definitely add quail eggs. Gracie loves quail itself, and I bet the eggs are the perfect size for a meal !

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page