gonna try out raw for the first time this weekend! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

gonna try out raw for the first time this weekend!

i'm such a nutrition nerd, i am super excited.

picked up a bag of nature's variety chicken medallions today and planning to have the kitties try it out this weekend. they eat dry food during the day when we are at work, so i'm aiming for a no-kibble weekend so we can incorporate raw in their diets without upsetting their tummies. until i am comfortable with buying raw meat non-commercially, their main part of their diet will still be canned.

i know buying commercial raw isn't the most economical, but right now i'm just taking it easy and trying baby steps =) i am currently a little paranoid about serving raw meat that's been sitting refrigerated at the grocery store for who knows how many days, but i'll keep looking at the forums to see some good advice from all of you

i like how they have individually frozen medallions so you can just take out what you need.

just thought i'd share and i'll let you know how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Tom Cat

I think i might try out these frozen medallions, and Nature's Variety is sold at the local pet food shop that i go to on a regular basis hooray! Let me know how it goes though Maybe, i'll try it after Aster and Cody do, and if they like it then i'll get some for Rocky. Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you for the bag of frozen medallions?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

It wasnt cheap, $5.99 for 12 1 oz medallions. I am thinking about feeding them 1 medallion a day to supplement canned food. according to the package, an active adult should have 3-6 medallions a day if fed exclusively (this encompasses both cats and dogs tho, so I'm assuming cats would be on the lower end?)

This is definitely pricey to feed as a main food, so if I do make the move over to raw, I'd probably have to consider other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh, I also saw primal brand ground meat in 2 lb chubs for also 5.99. I think the main difference why it's cheaper is that it's not supplemented with vitamins or pre portioned. I'm debating this might be more economical and the lack of vitamins added is ok if I only feed it as a supplement? I guess the nice part is it has ground bone in it.

Last edited by littlesushi; 08-05-2011 at 03:01 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The kittens took to it pretty well! They ate half an oz each. Aster even ate it straight out the fridge. Cody was much more interested when I warmed it up by putting it in a baggie and running warm tap water over it. I mixed it with a little canned EVO chicken and turkey, and they ate the raw first before touching the canned.

It was a little messy, as they weren't used to the chewing for raw even though it was ground meat since as they were chewing some meat would fall on the floor outside the food mat, but hopefully in time they'll get the hang of it. I think I will start serving raw in the kitchen instead if their usual spot on the hardwood dining room floor but I am so happy they took to it so well
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cody seems to be taking on the raw quite well, he is no longer making a mess too. Aster is finding eating raw to be a bit of work (she prefers pate instead of chunked canned foods) but I think she is getting there slowly.

One guy at my local pet food express was telling me that they can special order 4 2 lb chubs of natures variety for about $30, which comes out to be $3.75/lb which seems to be a steal for commercially prepared raw! This pricing is actually comparable to the grain free canned diet that I am currently feeding.

I know the most economical and best option is homemade but I'm thinking this is a good compromise -for now- without being too hard on the wallet.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Progress seems to be going backwards. Seems like after a week of smelly canned food, doing raw on just the weekend is looking challenging. Maybe the novelty wore off. I got some rad cat samples from the nice lady at a local pet store and topped it with some canned food and aster sniffed and walked away. Even with parmesan cheese sprinkle on it. Cody took a couple bites and was less excited than last time. I tried adding more canned so it probably was 75% canned and 25% raw but that didn't change much. Ah, we'll keep trying. I'm thinking maybe I should go slower and sneak even less raw in, I guess I was getting my hopes up. Til the next mealtime, hopefully they will be more hungry and more willing to eat then!

On the plus side, both seem to enjoy chewing a bit more, they are more interested in chunky canned food instead of pate ( before aster wouldnt eat chunks). Baby steps..
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Sorry for so many posts but I think I found something that works for the kitties and me. At mealtime I started putting down a plate of raw for 5 minutes. Cody ate! Aster wasn't interested. Cody ate his and her share. Then I put down some canned and aster ate that. This morning I put down both raw and canned at the same time ( the canned had a tiny bit of raw in it) and Cody decided to have an all raw breakfast. Aster accepted the canned with the little bit of raw. Yay!! I'm hoping to slowly add more raw to the canned for aster, but it makes me so happy to see Cody preferring what nature intended them to eat! They are currently having commercially prepared ground raw but I can't wait to start introducing meat chunks to them
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Cat Addict

Sounds like you are off to a good start. keep us posted on your progress.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Jr. Cat

Yay! I'm glad you're figuring out a way to feed raw to Aster. It looks like Cody won't have a problem at all. Maybe they prefer the Nature's Variety over the Rad Cat samples that you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesushi View Post

i know buying commercial raw isn't the most economical, but right now i'm just taking it easy and trying baby steps =) i am currently a little paranoid about serving raw meat that's been sitting refrigerated at the grocery store for who knows how many days, but i'll keep looking at the forums to see some good advice from all of you
As for the grocery store meat, I think a lot of people recommend that you freeze the raw meat for about 48 hours before you feed it. This way, any parasites should be killed by the freezing. But then again, I think freezing also kills some of the natural nutrients...I'm still confused about some of the raw stuff.

Updates are always good, so keep them coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page