Travelling, how do I do this? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Travelling, how do I do this?

I raw feed my kitten, of course, or I wouldn't be posting here..but I would like to go away for about 4 days and don't have anyone that would be able to cat-sit/come over to feed him. The kitten coming with us is an option, but would be really hard where we are going.

What do you do with your raw fed friends when you go away for a couple days?

How much harm would it cause Jace (kitten) to leave kibble out for him and start raw again when we get back? for his health is this a really bad thing to do? He's only been eating raw for a week.

Thanks for your help =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Jr. Cat

While its not ideal, it seems like you don't have a whole lot of options. If there's no way you can have someone check in on him at least once a day... then you're stuck with feeding him something that can be left out. It's my understanding that it's dangerous to eat kibble then raw meat, as it slows down the digestion. But you can feed kibble after raw meat. If you feed him raw the night before you leave, then start feeding him kibble the next day... that will give you a good chunk of time to make sure the two don't mingle in his system. You'll have to get him back off the kibble when you get back, making sure there's at least 12 hours between when he last ate kibble and when he starts eating raw again.

Lola - 7 yrs
Fievel - 5 yrs
Severus - 10 wks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMPJx View Post
I raw feed my kitten, of course, or I wouldn't be posting here..but I would like to go away for about 4 days and don't have anyone that would be able to cat-sit/come over to feed him. The kitten coming with us is an option, but would be really hard where we are going.

What do you do with your raw fed friends when you go away for a couple days?

How much harm would it cause Jace (kitten) to leave kibble out for him and start raw again when we get back? for his health is this a really bad thing to do? He's only been eating raw for a week.

Thanks for your help =)
I'm sorry but you can't leave any cat unattended for 4 days especially a kitten.
What if he spills his water?
You need to either board the cat or hire a pet sitter to come by twice a day to feed and comfort the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Tom Cat

i agree with bob, you can't leave a 2 1/2 month old kitten alone for 4 days. I wouldn't even leave Rocky alone for that long and he's almost a year old. Cat's need attention, to be monitored, their water to be checked in on, and in 4 days a plethora of things can go wrong. If you don't have a friend who is willing to feed raw, can you at least find someone to check in on the kitten a couple of times a day and feed either wet food or grain free kibble?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Cat Addict

I feed frankenprey in the morning and canned at night to 4 cats. I hired a sitter to come and feed them 2x/day while we are gone in Feb for 10 days. It is expensive, but factoring in care in your absence is part of being a responsible pet owner just like regular vet visits. Leaving a cat overnight is ok, but longer than that, things can get complicated and go downhill fast if anything goes awry.

As far as the kibble, it's not ideal, but as long as you wait 12 hrs in between feeding kibble and raw, you should be ok. I wouldn't recommend doing this on a daily basis, but in a pinch, it can be done.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Senior Cat

I would HIGHLY suggest NOT feeding kibble for consecutive meals if your pet is rawfed/canned fed only. We tried this when we went away for a few days, and came home to diarrhea ALL OVER THE HOUSE. Nasty.

They don't process the kibble well anymore, and if we ever tried to feed it more than ONE MEAL at a time (ie. no raw out? kibble. next meal.. no raw out? kibble... OHNO!).

They seemed to have softer/smellier stool with ONE meal, but two in a row was just TOO MUCH.

I suggest trying a dehydrated raw such as ZiwiPeak instead. Easy to carry around and not even close to kibble.

Also, as others have said, a cat really shouldn't be left alone for FOUR days without someone looking in on it. Especially a baby. Take it with you.

As for food on the road, again, ZiwiPeak or Prowl (from The Honest Kitchen) are good options and you can even mix ground meat/chunks into the Prowl. A lot of friends use those or just stop at grocery stores on the road and pickup a few meals worth of meat/bone at a time and keep a cooler with ice in the car.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the advice everyone, I didn't think of travelling when I got this kitten for my son. Don't worry 'bout the kitten, trip is off, he'll be fine. =)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Kitten

For anyone else with this dilemma I would suggest Wysong Archetype freeze-dried raw food. This stuff is very cool and is made from great ingredients using an advanced process. My cat absolutely loves the stuff and I use it as a treat or a "seasoning" when he is apprehensive about a new food. It can be fed dry or re-hydrated with water. It is worth checking out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page