combination feeding of raw/canned/kibble - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

combination feeding of raw/canned/kibble

i mentioned about my success of feeding the kittens raw this past weekend, and i was considering in feeding raw primarily only on weekends, since they have dry food out during the daytime in the work week, and then not offer any dry on the weekend. now i'm thinking about having a little bit of raw in their diets everyday possibly. their main food is canned, and i was feeding the raw mixed with canned.

i had read that because of the different digestion rates that dry should not be fed for 12 hours before raw is fed, however raw can be fed right after dry. if this is true, i should be able to feed a raw/canned mix in the morning, and they can munch on their kibble during the day without too many problems? i feed them canned when i get home from work and before bed.

anyone have any experience with this?

thanks =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Senior Cat

I really would not offer kibble anytime around raw. 12 hrs before and after is the rule.

Why not leave out canned or go to a dehydrated raw intstead of kibble to avoid complications? It's just as convienient and they eat less of it since it's basically raw that's been dehydrated! Look up ZiwiPeak! it's awesoem

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

thanks for the tips! maybe i will try something like raw every other day. i am hoping to ditch the kibble in the next few months. just finish off what we have in our pantry now (we have a good amount, a ~5 lb bag each of evo, wellness core, and orijen) . normally i would just give it away and leave out some extra canned but we are currently on a tight budget for this year (saving up for our wedding in less than 2 months ) so every dollar saved counts . i would love to try ziwipeak if it weren't so expensive. maybe in a little while we can reassess our budget and give our kitties better food

i was actually planning on not starting the kittens on raw til after the wedding (and using up all our kibble) but i got a little too excited, and just wanted to give it a try! the nv medallion trial package seemed convenient enough. plus, the local pet store offered me a bunch of rad cat samples and had a primal sample pack for $5.

i'm hoping to eventually move on to non-commercial food and probably have more room to spend on stuff like ziwipeak if we serve homemade raw, but right now the convenience is a plus for us. seems like aster also needs a little of a transition to get her jaws accustomed to non-pate food =)

Last edited by littlesushi; 08-10-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Cat Addict

I agree with Kelly. I personally wouldn't take the risk of feeding dry anywhere around raw. The dehydrated suggestion is great though, and one I never really considered either.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

ok =) thanks both of you =) i trust the wise advice from the more expert cat owners here.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Congrats on successfully introducing raw to your kitties, Littlesushi!!!

You probably don't need additional reinforcement, but I totally agree with the advice already given.

Also, something else to think about - feeding fresh, raw grocery-bought meat and organs will likely cost you considerably less than feeding the same amount of canned. For me, it comes out to an amazing half the cost of canned.

Oh, and major congratulations on the wedding, by the way!!
AC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

thank you for the well wishes auntie crazy =)

that is awesome that feeding the best food for our kitties can also be affordable. i am hoping to venture into raw, fresh meat and organs soon for our cats. hopefully by the end of this year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page