Good source of "Fish Body" Oil? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Good source of "Fish Body" Oil?

I bought a cat prebiotic called "GNC Ultra Mega - Digestive Health Complex", and I was wondering if someone could tell me if it's good or not?

Ingredients: Wild Salmon Oil, Sunflower Oil, Inulin, d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Natural Fish Flavor, Silica.

Guaranteed Analysis (in 1 tbsp):
Crude Fat (min): 99%
Moisture (max): 0.5%
Fructooligosaccharide: 200mg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (From Salmon Oil): 2000mg
EPA (From Salmon Oil): 800mg
DHA (From Salmon Oil): 800mg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (From Sunflower Oil): 250mg

I have read that "Fish Body Oil" should be supplemented in the raw diet, and I'm not sure if this qualifies or not.

Thanks!

Oh, and I started giving the pro- and prebiotics because Krystal occasianally vomits after a raw meal; I posted about this previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Not sure if a pro-biotic is the best response for vomiting (I'll go find your thread and respond there), but the best source I have found for Omega 3's (which is what you're looking for in a fish oil) is Sardines. Sardines are small and grow quickly, so they're very low in heavy metal toxins, etc., which makes them one of the safest fishes to feed. I buy only the canned, packed-in-water-no-salt-added kind and my cats each get three quarters of a sardine a week.

If you continue to feed fish body oils (of any kind), watch them carefully as they have a tendency to go bad (rancid) very quickly and easily.

Best regards.

AC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you very much, AC! Just the kind of advice I was waiting for. I happen to have a can of Beach Cliff sardines packed in water, but the ingredients are "Sardines, water, and salt", so I guess those are out because of the salt. I will keep my eyes open for other options when I'm at the grocery store next.

My post about the vomiting is "Probiotics are Helping!" or something like that. Unfortunately, Krystal still seems to vomit after I introduce (even a tiny amount of) anything new. Kidney was the latest culprit.

She also vomits if she eats too quickly, or if I wait too long between feedings. Like, a 5:00 pm feeding and then a 7:30 am feeding is too long for her; she'll throw up the morning meal.

She does better when I give her very small amounts of food throughout the day, but that won't be feasible once I start work in September again (I work in an elementary school, so I've had most of the summer off ).

*sigh* My mom says this is all good practice for when I have a baby, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Cat Addict

I feed sardines and anchovies. I buy them frozen with nothing on them. I simply defrost a few anchovies or 1 sardine to share for 2 cats per week. Believe it or not, frozen sardines are huge!

Could it be your feeding too much at one sitting? Some cats are nibblers and will eat small amounts several times a day. Maybe you can do 3 small meals (1 in the morning, 1 when you get back from work, and another at night) vs. larger ones.

Last edited by dweamgoil; 08-15-2011 at 11:09 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunKissedToes View Post
Thank you very much, AC! Just the kind of advice I was waiting for. I happen to have a can of Beach Cliff sardines packed in water, but the ingredients are "Sardines, water, and salt", so I guess those are out because of the salt. I will keep my eyes open for other options when I'm at the grocery store next.

My post about the vomiting is "Probiotics are Helping!" or something like that. Unfortunately, Krystal still seems to vomit after I introduce (even a tiny amount of) anything new. Kidney was the latest culprit.

She also vomits if she eats too quickly, or if I wait too long between feedings. Like, a 5:00 pm feeding and then a 7:30 am feeding is too long for her; she'll throw up the morning meal.

She does better when I give her very small amounts of food throughout the day, but that won't be feasible once I start work in September again (I work in an elementary school, so I've had most of the summer off ).

*sigh* My mom says this is all good practice for when I have a baby, lol.
Yes, the sardines you currently have are no good in this context.

Many cats have trouble if they go too long without food, eat too much at one meal, eat too fast, swallow pieces too large, or go through a change in diet too fast. Kidney and other organs are also a frequent cause of nausea.

Here are my solutions to each problem (and yes, unfortunately, I've hit all those listed):

Too long without food and eating too much at one time: My cats eat a minimum of three times a day. Right after my morning shower (so they associate breakfast with my shower and not my waking up), right after I get home from work, and the very last minute before I go to bed (and I seldom sleep more than eight hours a night).

Eating too fast: I cut this cat's pieces really large so she HAS to slow down to eat.

Swallowing pieces that are too large: Until she became more proficient at scissoring off smaller pieces on her own, I cut Rachel's meat chunks smaller than her housemates'. Today, all the cats are experienced raw food eaters and if one horks up his/her meal because he/she didn't cut it down enough, it's almost 100% of the time while they're still in the dinner cages, and they just re-chew and re-swallow the food.

Diet changes: I feed a large variety of foods so the cats' systems can handle changes more comfortably. I also made all changes at the cats' pace.

Organ meals: Initially, I tried to feed liver once a week and kidney once a week, but this was too much at one time for several of my cats, so I divided that in half and now feed liver (and chicken gizzards) twice a week and kidney (and chicken breast) twice a week. Ralph still had issues so I switched to a poultry liver (rotating between turkey and chicken) instead of beef liver, which solved that problem. His kidney meals, however, have to be chopped fine, mixed well with the chicken breast and sprinkled liberally with freeze-dried 100% chicken meat treats.

Some cats also have problems when the food is too cold (this one, I haven't had): The easiest fix here is to put the food in a plastic baggie and let it float in warm (not hot) water for a few minutes.

- - - - - - -

Hopefully, one or some of these solutions will help Krystal, too, SKT.

AC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
I feed sardines and anchovies. I buy them frozen with nothing on them. I simply defrost a few anchovies or 1 sardine to share for 2 cats per week. Believe it or not, frozen sardines are huge!

Could it be your feeding too much at one sitting? Some cats are nibblers and will eat small amounts several times a day. Maybe you can do 3 small meals (1 in the morning, 1 when you get back from work, and another at night) vs. larger ones.
That's a good suggestion, Dreamgoil! I have actually seen the frozen sardines at the Asian market I go to, and I thought, "Wow, those are way too big for Krystal to eat!" But I could definitely split it into a couple meals. The fish bones make me nervous, though. I think of fish bones as little needles...I guess I'm just a worry-wort!

Over the last week or so, I have realized that I am probably giving her portions that are too big. I'm going to try to give her at least 3, if not 4, small meals a day. Maybe 2 in the morning and then 2 when I get home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
Yes, the sardines you currently have are no good in this context.

Many cats have trouble if they go too long without food, eat too much at one meal, eat too fast, swallow pieces too large, or go through a change in diet too fast. Kidney and other organs are also a frequent cause of nausea.

Here are my solutions to each problem (and yes, unfortunately, I've hit all those listed):

Too long without food and eating too much at one time: My cats eat a minimum of three times a day. Right after my morning shower (so they associate breakfast with my shower and not my waking up), right after I get home from work, and the very last minute before I go to bed (and I seldom sleep more than eight hours a night).

Eating too fast: I cut this cat's pieces really large so she HAS to slow down to eat.

Swallowing pieces that are too large: Until she became more proficient at scissoring off smaller pieces on her own, I cut Rachel's meat chunks smaller than her housemates'. Today, all the cats are experienced raw food eaters and if one horks up his/her meal because he/she didn't cut it down enough, it's almost 100% of the time while they're still in the dinner cages, and they just re-chew and re-swallow the food.

Diet changes: I feed a large variety of foods so the cats' systems can handle changes more comfortably. I also made all changes at the cats' pace.

Organ meals: Initially, I tried to feed liver once a week and kidney once a week, but this was too much at one time for several of my cats, so I divided that in half and now feed liver (and chicken gizzards) twice a week and kidney (and chicken breast) twice a week. Ralph still had issues so I switched to a poultry liver (rotating between turkey and chicken) instead of beef liver, which solved that problem. His kidney meals, however, have to be chopped fine, mixed well with the chicken breast and sprinkled liberally with freeze-dried 100% chicken meat treats.

Some cats also have problems when the food is too cold (this one, I haven't had): The easiest fix here is to put the food in a plastic baggie and let it float in warm (not hot) water for a few minutes.

- - - - - - -

Hopefully, one or some of these solutions will help Krystal, too, SKT.

AC
Great advice again, AC! I'm sure her vomiting is due to one of those reasons. It's nice to know that it's very likely in my control, so I can just experiment and see what works best for her.

Before I went out yesterday afternoon, I gave Krystal 2 big chunks of chicken thigh (around 1 ounce each) - first time I haven't chopped it up into little bits.

I was worried the whole time that I'd come home and she'd be dead from choking on the chicken, but of course, she was fine. She ate one piece and left the other. Then I searched the apartment for vomit, but I think she managed to keep it down.

So, I think I will try to feed larger chunks at shorter intervals, and see how that goes. I also have some beef round and quail in the freezer, and I'll buy some sardines, so maybe adding some variety will be good.

Thanks, AC and Dreamgoil!! Huge help.

Last edited by SunKissedToes; 08-16-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Sorry I misspelled your name, "Dweamgoil"!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunKissedToes View Post
Sorry I misspelled your name, "Dweamgoil"!
It's ok...I forgive you

I wouldn't worry too much about the fish bones. I mean my cats eat the entire sardine...nothing is left (no scales, no bones, no tail...nothing!), but if you want to go slow, start out with the anchovies and then graduate her to the sardines.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about the fish bones. I mean my cats eat the entire sardine...nothing is left (no scales, no bones, no tail...nothing!), but if you want to go slow, start out with the anchovies and then graduate her to the sardines.
I'm going to give it a try! I know she's perfectly capable of eating fish with bone; it's just my own hang-up that's the struggle. I will update after!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
Just a thought for you, SKT... I've never run into a life-threatening situation with my cats while they're eating and don't expect to, and it's highly likely you never will either, but it might be a good idea to stay around while the food's out.

I may be a bit paranoid, and I HAVE to stay with my cats to ensure everyone eats what they should and then to let them out of their crates, so it's possible I'm unreasonably biased toward staying around. All the same, though... it's such an easy thing to do, you know?

AC
Yes, AC. I agree with you! It was NOT a good feeling worrying about her like that while I was out.

She hasn't vomited in about 2 weeks! She's doing much better now that I've increased the amount of canned I add to her raw. A bit of a regression from what I want to do, but it's working out well for her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page