raw meat stuck in ice cube trays... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

raw meat stuck in ice cube trays...

i'm new to the world of raw, and picked up some lovely organ meats yesterday. with just 2 kitties and feeding raw part time, 1.5 lbs of liver and kidney is gonna last me a while so i was thinking about ways to portion out the meat.

last night i made a mix of chopped up liver and kidney and portioned them out into ice cube trays, hoping to pop them out and place them in a baggie so i could just pull out the right amount when convenient.

however, this morning i found that the meat is stuck to the tray. maybe i need to freeze it longer? maybe i need to run some water on the other side?

any tips on how to use ice cube trays without sticking problems? or possibly other portioning tips?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Cat Addict

Can I ask a stupid question? I will assume you said yes

Why are you chopping the organs up? Organ meats are soft and the cats can eat them with no problems. I would just ration them out into pieces of how many ounces you want each cat to eat and freeze them in ziplocs. Whenever you want to feed them, then you just defrost in the bag by either keeping it in the fridge or soaking them in warm water. It just seems much easier.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

thanks for pointing that out to me dweamgoil! lol i realized that as i was chopping them up but the thought didnt click...the kittens have just started raw and i was getting used to cutting up meat and heart for them in small pieces cause they are still working on their jaw strength, but the organ meats are much softer. glad to know i wont have to be chopping up these yucky organ meats in the future hehe.

i was considering the ziplocs but im trying to find ways to cut waste and space. i was thinking if i could just freeze chunks and put them all in one ziploc it would take up less space and take less bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Cool Cat

Maybe buy some reusable tupperware containers? They come in so many different sizes so you might be able to find some that're small enough to solve your space issues while still fitting the food you need.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

that sounds like a great idea saitenyo i will have to give that a try.

now to figure out what to do with 2 ice cube trays with organs stuck in them lol
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Premier Cat

I tore off small strips of saran wrap(cling wrap) and then wrapped the organs in that. Kind of like rolled them up and then tossed all the little premeasured/prewrapped bundles into a ziplock bag in the freezer (that was marked) so I could just grab a little bundle and go. I wrapped all my separate pieces like that so I could mix and match his meals.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I tore off small strips of saran wrap(cling wrap) and then wrapped the organs in that. Kind of like rolled them up and then tossed all the little premeasured/prewrapped bundles into a ziplock bag in the freezer (that was marked) so I could just grab a little bundle and go. I wrapped all my separate pieces like that so I could mix and match his meals.
for some very odd reason, when you mentioned saran wrap, I imagined them frozen looking like wrapped candy with the twists on each side.. or ground meat stuffed in sausage casings.. I must need a nap

I got little plastic storage containers with snap on lids from the dollar tree. there was 10 or so in the bag and they hold just over 2 ounces each.. maybe look there? I just toss em all in a big freezer bag. had to go look they are called Sure Fresh, mini containers.

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 08-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Kitten

Hope its ok jumping in as I am new on here but I bought some kids plastic jelly moulds with lids and use them to portion out my cats raw food. I've colour coded them for what meat etc is in each one so easy and quick to grab from the freezer.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Ok! I think it just needed to be frozen for longer, and I ran the tap on the other side and they popped right out. Yay!

Thanks for all ur storage suggestions, I love hearing about what everyone else is doing
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Cat Addict

I use ice cube trays too, and it is a hassle getting the cubes out - but the portions come out sized just right for a meal. I can store a whole tray's worth in one medium sized Tupperware container.

I just started using silicone ice cube trays from Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't care for the trays much, they are sort of wierd and floppy (I can't imagine trying to make ice in them, they'd spill everywhere). The squares are a little smaller than the old-fashioned plastic trays, but the frozen cubes are much much easier to pop out.

Fran

Last edited by Fran; 08-18-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page