Total failure on the whole prey feeding... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Total failure on the whole prey feeding...

OK, so I bought some tiny white rats, cut the stomach open and offered to my cats. They won't eat. They sniffed the dead rat thoroughly and then looked at me puzzled. So I coated the rat with their favorite canned food (yuck yuck yuck!), and they licked all the food off the rat, like giving the rat a bath, and then left. I think Metoo did put a rat in her mouth for once, but either she spitted it out or it slipped through her teeth.

Anyway, total failure here... I'm not suprised Meatball doesn't want to eat the rat. She is always picky. But Metoo usually eat everything, from rice to orage to tea leaf, and for some reason she ruled the rat out of her menu. LOL. Back to raw chicken now...

So what should I do? Should I borrow a mouser and let him/her show my girls that rats are food?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Cat Addict

This is part of why I've put whole prey on the back burner. I'd like to at some point, but they aren't into it and i can't handle the next step.

You can either go a size down on your prey items (so hoppers instead of adults), or you can chop them up. Mine won't eat even pinkies (well, Jitzu will, but the other 3 won't), and I just couldn't handle chopping them up. *shudders*

...oddly enough the two times I bought whole piglet for the kitties I had much less troubel chopping it up. But the mice I couldn't do. Strange.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The rat is very small, about the size of a chicken heart. They LOVE chicken hearts but they don't like the rat. Don't even want to play with it. Sign...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yeah, I understand that patience is key to the transition. My girls never complained when switch directly from dry to canned, and canned to raw chicken wings and hearts, so I might be pushing my luck too far.

But what I don't get is, for switching to whole prey, what the "intermediate status" should be? Like from dry to canned, you mix some canned into dry and slowly increase the amount. How can I do it with whole prey? As I mentioned in the first post, I tred mixing canned with the tiny rat but they didn't take the rat, only canned. Should I cut the rat into small pieces and mix with canned? But the rat will never look/feel the same as a whole prey this way...

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe cut the rat in half and do half cut up mixed with canned, and the other half just smeared with canned until they get the message. And then decrease the amount of canned until you only have to cut the belly open.

I am no expert, but it's the only way I can see it happening.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
My boyfriend had success feeding a cat an egg yolk by having her lick some of it off of his finger. She didn't realize it was food, I think. This is a little harder with a rat, of course, but perhaps you can try another whole prey. We feed our cats one-day-old chicks from a company that supplies zoos and all of our cats LOVE them. We also bought some mice but only one of our cats finds them tasty and the other two walk away. So, maybe you can try chicks instead? They might be more familiar with the chicken smell.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
Maybe cut the rat in half and do half cut up mixed with canned, and the other half just smeared with canned until they get the message. And then decrease the amount of canned until you only have to cut the belly open.

I am no expert, but it's the only way I can see it happening.
Thanks for the idea. I will give it a try

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyuh View Post
My boyfriend had success feeding a cat an egg yolk by having her lick some of it off of his finger. She didn't realize it was food, I think. This is a little harder with a rat, of course, but perhaps you can try another whole prey. We feed our cats one-day-old chicks from a company that supplies zoos and all of our cats LOVE them. We also bought some mice but only one of our cats finds them tasty and the other two walk away. So, maybe you can try chicks instead? They might be more familiar with the chicken smell.
I don't know where to find chicks. It's not sold anywhere here (at lease not I aware of). We don't have lots of whole prey (or even raw food) producers in Canada, and shipping from US is not practical

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Banned

You're all nuts. These are domesticated cats. They shouldnt be eating this type of meat. You dont know what kind of diseases this rat has or raw food for that matter. Like I said these are DOMESTICATED cats. Cats in the wild catching their own food dont live as long.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny135 View Post
You're all nuts. These are domesticated cats. They shouldnt be eating this type of meat. You dont know what kind of diseases this rat has or raw food for that matter. Like I said these are DOMESTICATED cats. Cats in the wild catching their own food dont live as long.
And that makes them any less of a cat......how? They are STILL CATS, just like lions, which means they are STILL OBLIGATORY CARNIVORES and thus they NEED meat. She didn't just grab a rat off the street, she bought a rat from a dealer that sells them for the purposes of other animals like snakes. Thus, they don't have "diseases" and even if they did, a cat is designed to handle such bacteria since their digestive systems work so quickly.

Perhaps you should do some more research before coming in a forum and calling us all "nuts."

@yingying:

Quote:
I don't know where to find chicks. It's not sold anywhere here (at lease not I aware of). We don't have lots of whole prey (or even raw food) producers in Canada, and shipping from US is not practical
You're just have to do some hunting. There ARE chicken farms in Canada and there ARE zoos in Canada, thus there must be someway the zoos get their food. As far as chicken farms go, they destroy all rooster chicks so they have plenty extra and you can usually get them for cheap as long as you're willing to go and get them. It just takes a bit of extra work, but in my opinion, it is A LOT less work than preparing three "frankenprey" meals per day for three cats, not to mention they LOVE them.

So, just try. Do some Google searches for chicken farms in your area or ask your local butcher/supermarket where they get their chicken and/or eggs from. Try to contact your local zoo as well and ask them what they use. It's worth a try as it's VERY CHEAP (for us, anyway) and very easy, not to mention very healthy for your kitty Good luck!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page