Raw diet on part time basis? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Raw diet on part time basis?

Preface - this is not meant to be a discussion on pro/cons of commercial cat food vs. Raw diet.

Not being interested in supplements or proper nutrition balancing, I'm probably going to be feeding my new kitten/cat a high quality canned food. But, for the fun/treat aspect of it, I'd like to also throw in some cubed raw chicken a few time a week, maybe chicken breast with the small rib bones

Is this occasional raw going to upset/disrupt his system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Cool Cat

I feed my cats half raw and half canned (due to lack of available raw variety in my area, and time constraints in doing raw in the mornings) and they've done very well on it. I think a lot of other members here do the same. I wouldn't think it would cause any upset. I've heard kibble should be avoided with raw, but canned should be just fine!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Kitten

I feed my cats almost a completely "all raw-meat" diet. This consists of muscle and organ meat and is bought from the local supermarket. Mixed with this I give them a small amount of canned food and a small amount of dry food springled on the top for good measure. They are 2 years old and have been on this for a good 6-8 months. Do you think this is sufficient for their dietry requirements? The vet has advised it's ok. I feed them this as I don't agree in feeding my cats an only dry food diet (personal preference only).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

This what I'd like to do if I could get away with it, without having to measure out or calculate what supplements to use.

Last edited by marie73; 08-25-2011 at 04:23 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings View Post
Do you think this is sufficient for their dietry requirements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
This what I'd like to do if I could get away with it, without having to measure out or calculate what supplements to use.
I think as long as you follow this basic guideline it would be fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
you can "treat" him to raw, non-enhanced, meat chunks up to 15% of his total diet without worrying about balancing anything.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
Please do not keep adding kibble to this mix. Cats can handle bacteria because their digestive tract is acidic and one of the shortest in the animal kingdom per body size; cats can process a species-appropriate raw diet in only 12 hours.

Kibble, however, is far from species-appropriate and takes much longer to digest, allowing for a longer time for bacteria to grow. You're mixing kibble, canned and raw together, that's three chances of introducing Salmonella to your cat, and you're feeding kibble, which is going to slow down the digestive process and allow that Salmonella more time to proliferate and potentially make your kitty sick.

Ditch the kibble - there's nothing good in it anyway and it's potentially harmful even without being mixed in like this.

AC
^^ this.
your better off without the kibble in the mix.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Kitten

Thank you all so much for your comments - I will remove the kibble. Thanks again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Cat Addict

@Auntie Crazy: thanks for your comments re: kibble. I was also feeding my bunch a kibble bedtime snack mixed in with a raw/wet diet. I'm removing the kibble now and going to replace with a wet snack.

@hal1: yeah. Thanks for the post. I would also like to keep things simple without supplements or complicated balancing acts. For me, removing the kibble and sticking with the raw/wet diet only seems better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page