Max and Milly's FrankenPrey - [Help?] - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to Amylittlehands Send a message via Skype™ to Amylittlehands
Exclamation Max and Milly's FrankenPrey - [Help?]

Hello!
After much discussion in my other topic I decided the best thing to do for my kitties is to go 100% Frankenprey! This is going to be a bit difficult for me as I don't know what's available to me that isn't in supermarkets.

If anyone could please help add to the menu or let me know if I'll be giving them the right amount a week please let me know!

I will be taking the percentages in weekly.

[Max 2.8lbs - 44.8oz - 1270g] [Milly 2.5lbs - 40oz - 1133g]

Feed Kittens roughly 12oz a day between them.

3oz Per Meal

80% Meat (2.4oz) 10% Bone (0.30oz) 5% Liver (0.15oz) 5% Organ (0.15oz) = 3oz P/MEAL
80% Meat (9.60oz) 10% Bone (1.2oz) 5% Liver (0.6oz) 5% Organ (0.6oz) = 12oz DAILY
80% Meat (67.2oz) 10% Bone (8.4oz) 5% Liver (4.2oz) 5% Organ (4.2oz) = 84oz WEEKLY
(4.2lbs) (0.53lbs) (0.26lbs) (0.26lbs) = (5.25lb) WEEKLY
Suggested Foods:
Meats: Chicken, sheep, duck, turkey, cow hearts, beef & chicken chunks, rabbit, chicken wing, wood pigeon.
Bone: Chicken wing (end bit), chicken neck/rib, quail back.
Livers: Chicken, sheep, cow liver.
Organ: tongue, pancreas, kidney, gizzards
Monday -
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Tuesday -
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Wednesday -
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Thursday -
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Friday -
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Saturday -
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:

I live in Cardiff in the UK and not sure where I can find things like Asian Markets for organs etc ...

I will be starting them on the diet tomorrow as they have no pouches left (I have weaned them on to Raw for the past week with some mince and chicken and they love it). I did notice that the kittens are reluctant to eat the commercial food now and Max had diarrhea because of the Whiska's Beef Pouch (Went straight through him bless him!).

So tomorrow I'll be on the hunt for about a weeks worth of raw and pick up 2 pouches of wet food to put a small amount each day with it to fully wean them off it.

Any suggestions, please let me know!

Maxx & Milly <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Senior Cat

Two quick things that I noticed:

1. In my experience, it is best to let the kitten decide how much they want to eat. They know best! At Morey & Mitch's peak in growing, they were eating about a pound of food each day. Morey & Mitch were allowed to eat all they wanted 3-5 times a day, the amount of times was dependent on when I was home.

2. The "other secreting organ": Gizzards, tongue, and heart are actually not considered to be an organ in raw feeding - they are considered to be meat instead. Kidney, pancreas, thymus, brain, and reproductive organs are all secreting organs, thus they can be used for the 5%.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251 View Post

2. The "other secreting organ": Gizzards, tongue, and heart are actually not considered to be an organ in raw feeding - they are considered to be meat instead. Kidney, pancreas, thymus, brain, and reproductive organs are all secreting organs, thus they can be used for the 5%.
Heh, this sounds like a discussion amongst zombies

My suggestion is to try and find a zoo supplier. We found one here in Holland that is amazing and has EVERYTHING, not to mention they get their meat directly from the farmer and check it all for salmonella and e-coli etc. (not all animals are as resistant to bacteria as cats are). Ultimately this makes it safer for YOU to handle as I personally believe there is more risk to you in handling the raw meat than there is to the cat.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to Amylittlehands Send a message via Skype™ to Amylittlehands
Okay I bought some meat today I managed to get;
Lamb & Pig Hearts
Ox & Pig Liver
Pig Kidneys
Chicken bones

Now, I know that's not a wide variety but that's all I can get locally, tomorrow I'll be going into town to the big meat market to see if I can get a wide variety. The meat I have now will last about two weeks.

Gave the kittens some lamb heart and a little bit of kidney, they ate all of the heart but was reluctant to the kidney, I think that's because they had a chunk of chicken with bone earlier. Later tonight they'll be having 1oz of ox liver and 1oz of pig kidney.

When I was weighing it out earlier I think I done my maths wrong, they're supposed to have around 6oz each a day altogether. I weighed out 2oz of heart, 1oz of liver, 1.3oz of bone and 1oz of kidney.

That's only 5.3oz a day, also their second meal is the liver and kidney together which is 2oz, it looks like an extremely small sized portion but didn't want to add more as I was told if they have too much Liver they can get toxins.

Anyone care to give me suggestions on this matter?

Also, the amount of food I weighed out seems to make only two meals of one that is 2oz and the other is 2oz then bone between meals.

I'm a bit worried!

Maxx & Milly <3
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Another question. They don't seem to be eating the bones, they've cleaned all of the meat off them though!

I just crushed about 6 egg shells as finely as I can to use as a supplement for calcium until they get used to the bones. I was wondering how much do I give to them each a day?

Maxx & Milly <3
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'll have a look now
Regarding liver & kidney, I froze them in the same bag? Should i wait until they're defrosted, remove liver and leave for later with some chicken?

Maxx & Milly <3
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just weighed them, Milly is 3.5lbs! And Max is 4.2lbs! They've grown loads hehe.

Maxx & Milly <3
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Within the calculator I changed the percentage to feed to 10%

Great calculator btw! Thanks ^^
*Is there any way I can edit posts after 5mins?*

Maxx & Milly <3
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Cute! Any pics?

I'm just curious about something: You live in the UK but you guys still use pounds for weight and miles for distance, yet Celsius for temperature! What're you guys up to over there? Hehe.

I think it's so cool that you're starting them off on the right diet. We did the same with our kitten when we got her but she was 10wks old by then and was eating kibble already, boo. By day two with us, she was already chomping the leg bones of the chick, it was awesome and SO FUN to watch. Then she'd go around the rest of the day with a red Joker smile on her little white face

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

@tanyuh Click to see them! <- Pictures there : D

I tend to use oz more because of baking, I thought americans use lbs more? hehe.

@AuntieCrazy: I've googled how much egg shell to use and I came across this.

The muscle meat Milly would need daily is 127g (4.48oz) so I'm guessing I would need 2/4 of a teaspoon of the powdered egg? Very confusing for me as I'll be using normal teaspoons and not the ones made specially for measuring ><

As for Max he'd need 157g (5.37oz) a day so I think he'd need about 1/3 of teaspoon of it.

Btw, do those measurements looks right to you (for muscle meat)

Here's the rest the calculator said:

Max:
Muscle - 5.37oz
Bone/egg shell - 0.62oz
Liver - 0.33oz
Organ - 0.33oz
Total feed: 6.72oz

Milly:
Muscle - 4.48oz
Bone/egg shell - 0.56oz
Liver - 0.28oz
Organ - 0.28oz
Total feed: 5.6oz

Maxx & Milly <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page