Transition to Raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Transition to Raw

I've asked about switching before, but how does one go about it? I can't afford to switch over to a good quality canned food for the transition period (which would be how long?). Would a high quality (grain free, like Wilderness or Blue) kibble work okay? I've heard kibble mixed with raw can cause tummy issues (vomiting, etc.). I have 3 cats I'd be switching over (Chen Le, age 7, Abby, age 2, and Harley, age 1), and I just can't afford ~$3 a day of canned food.

I know a store near here where I can get chicken breasts, wings, drummies, legs, and necks. They also have beef products, turkey necks, pig feet, ears, and tails, and beef and calf liver. Also cornish hens and quails and some "all natural" ground lamb (in small amounts). And chitlins. Why, yes, I do live in the south, how did you guess? lol Haven't scoped out ethnic stores (I have 2 asian stores and a middle eastern store within walking distance of my university, but I haven't looked at what they have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Cat

If you can't switch from kibble to high quality canned, use a low quality canned in the meantime. I do not ever suggest (and many dont) to go right from kibble to raw (incase you need to feed SOME to entice eating)... canned is easier, because you can feed them at the same time without concern.

Any canned food is better than the high quality kibbles.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Senior Cat

I'm pretty sure the whole 'kibble before raw' thing is a myth, but it's easier to transition to raw from canned.

Keep in mind that unless your cats have shown enthusiasm for raw before, they may not even realize it's food,

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

My cats love canned food, and are prone to deciding some human foods are great (like I have one who loves parmesan...found that out after she stole some spaghetti sauce). My fiance and I are vegetarians, so there's little meat around to know if they would want to steal it. I know they might not/probably won't take to it immediately.

I'm wondering if, even with them being on kibble, if it might be possible to perhaps put out some raw chicken breasts (deboned, skinless) cut into small cubes and see if anyone went for it? I had a kitten (very young, so not much of a surprise) totally dig some imitation crab meat a few weeks ago, so there's no telling really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page