Easy way to "go raw"? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Ted
Cat

Easy way to "go raw"?

Hello all,

I'm still doing much research before I get a kitty and I'm learning more and more from this forum...thanks much!

Question about raw (not saying I'll do it, but I'd like to learn in case I do!):

Is there an "easy" way to do it? With a can, I just open it and serve it.

Some sites I have found about raw seems quite a lot of work...cut up the meat, grind the liver, etc. etc...

I'm a bachelor and I don't even cook/prepare a whole lot for MYSELF, let alone my kitty....

Are there sites that sell "pre-made" patties or such (with bones, etc.) that I can freeze and then thaw?

(And thank you for not laughing TOO loudly at the dumb question! LOL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Ted
Cat

Thanks for taking the time to answer, AC!

In the meantime after I posted the question, I came across these:

Nature's Variety Grain-Free Instinct Raw Food Diets for Dogs and Cats

They do mention they have bone material, but wondering if they don't provide the necessary advantage to a kitty's dental health?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Tom Cat

Ted--my kitties loved the Nature's Variety food but you're right, it isn't an advantage for their teeth at all, rather like eating canned food. You could always feed that as a base, though, and then give them other things (chewtoys, chicken wings or anything else they like) to chew on a few times a week to keep their teeth clean!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Ted
Cat

Fyreflie and AC, thanks again!

Question re: chicken wings. I know it's ludicrous (because I'm sure many cats don't choke on bones in the wild), but is there any even slight concern of domesticated kitties choking on the bones?

Do you just buy them raw (not sure if I can purchase JUST wings from my grocery store) and freeze them...and thaw them and toss it to your cat once a week for a treat?

I did read somewhere the danger is when the bones are cooked because that is when they become brittle....but that raw bones are more "malleable" and therefore less likely to choke.

But I would still worry like an Italian mother on her daughter's prom night!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post

But I would still worry like an Italian mother on her daughter's prom night!

LOL! That was a funny visual Our kitties haven't had any problems with the bones at all--they only bite off what they can chew, so to speak, I'm sure if they took too big of a piece (or we gave them bones that were too large/dense) the possibility would be there but their bodies are made to do it--as long as the bones are raw I think the likelihood of them having a major issue (fatal choking) is about the same as a human choking when eating food WE are meant to eat. Does that make sense? None of us eat only pureed food "just in case" something goes down the wrong way. We have a gag reflex for a reason (I always think of it that way, anyway!)

In terms of risk? I guess it's always there. The likelihood, though, I think is pretty low but you'd have to talk with some of the ladies who have been feeding multiple cats raw for a longer period of time....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Ted
Cat

Thanks, Fyreflie! I figured the risk was low, but I thought I'd put it out there, nonetheless.

Glad you liked the visual. I'm grateful that although I'm Italian, my mom just had to raise a son! (which is worrisome for other reasons! )
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Cat Addict

All my cats are fed a raw breakfast and have not had any issues with bone at all. They are on a 1/2 raw frankenprey, and 1/2 canned diet.

Even Sasha, who is now almost 22 weeks old and started eating raw at about 11 weeks old, has never had an issue. In fact, I would say most raw feeders have more issues with chunk size since if the meat is cut too small, the cat may eat too fast and regurgitate the food. As far as bones, cats have amazing jaw strength. As long as you work them up from small bones to larger ones gradually, you should have no problems at all. It seems scary at first, but believe me, they are made to eat through bone and tear through flesh.

If you are going with chicken wings, you need to be aware that there are 3 parts to a wing. The tips are softer and you should probably start out with that.

Once kitty can master the tip, it can graduate to the wingette. You can also split this part down the middle that way kitty has to eat through 2 medium sized bones separately rather than having to eat through them simultaneously. The drummette is the most difficult part to eat as the bone is the most dense, but in time, you cat will work up to this part as well. Slowly is the key here.

Good luck!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Do you just buy them raw (not sure if I can purchase JUST wings from my grocery store) and freeze them...and thaw them and toss it to your cat once a week for a treat?
This is what I'd like to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
All my cats are fed a raw breakfast and have not had any issues with bone at all. They are on a 1/2 raw frankenprey, and 1/2 canned diet.
This was my thought. But I really don't want to get into the nutrition suppliment balancing, and I read here that 15% raw is really all you should do if you're not planning to do the nutrition supplements.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
...I read here that 15% raw is really all you should do if you're not planning to do the nutrition supplements.
With 50% raw and 50% canned, you don't have to do supplementation as long as you feed a variety of proteins and bone-in meals. The canned food acts as an additional assurance in case they may be missing anything from the diet (like extra taurine). I believe you may be referring to ground meat as opposed to frankenprey, which are meat parts (like wings, organs, thighs, muscle meat, etc.) fed whole or in chunks. The grinding process depletes nutrients, and if using ground, you will need to add supplements.

Last edited by dweamgoil; 09-04-2011 at 02:21 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Tom Cat

Dweamgoil, thanks for posting that picture! LOL I'm a lifelong vegetarian so I didn't have any idea what the different parts were.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page