part-time raw fed kitties = picky eaters? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

part-time raw fed kitties = picky eaters?

the kitties are starting to turn up their noses on even some of their favorite canned foods =( they won't touch felidae grain-free right now, and are starting to become less interested in evo, wellness core, before grain, merrick, and earthborn holistics...i was hoping variety will help but i'm sticking with grain-free and it looks like the rotation is shrinking!

i would love to go full-time raw but right now it wouldn't work well for us since my fiance and i work full time and are out of the house for a good 11 ish hours a day.

funny how our kitties are drawn to what's best for them. sometimes it makes me question the quality of the canned food that we are giving them (even though we are trying to give them the best that we possibly can).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Cat

I hear you completely! I was giving my cats canned food in the morning (because it was easier and more convenient for me), and two raw meals at night. A few weeks ago they just stopped wanting the canned food at all. Before that I went through a bit of a stressful few days where I thought my oldest cat might be sick, so I stopped giving them raw at all.. they seemed absolutely miserable after two days on just canned, and I was having to heavily bribe them to finish like half their usual portions. After that I just kind of threw up my hands, and they've been on all raw ever since.

If your cats like their raw so much I wonder if you could just feed them in the mornings and leave out a frozen portion of their food for them to eat later. That way it would defrost enough for them to eat in several hours, so they wouldn't be with out food the entire time you're at work. Just a suggestion!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I like your suggestion! Might have to try that sometime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm also looking at feeding raw part time only for awhile right now. How do things seem to be going the past few days? I'm hoping my kittens dont care that I make them eat other food than raw much of the time, but I don't know what to do if they start refusing anything BUT raw or even only willing to eat one type of food other than raw. That would be hard, especially in times of power outages where all food gets spoiled possibly!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Cat Addict

I've read stories from others and I agree. To prevent picky eaters, offer them a variety. What I mean is variety in different meat sources and also brands. My guys are on a 1/2 raw, 1/2 canned diet. I rotate the raw portion weekly and the canned I rotate every day. So today they may get canned venison for breakfast while tomorrow, they can get canned duck.

It's common to have cats getting bored of their food. I mean wouldn't you be bored if you ate chicken at each and every single meal?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

i went and bought some new brands for them that weren't in their regular rotation and sure enough the more expensive brands seemed to be their preference (why do they have to have expensive taste..lol)! i'll throw in a brand that they didn't like as much before thinking that maybe they were bored at the time but they seem to be consistent in refusing certain brands. they are loving ziwipeak and nature's variety right now, and are sticking their noses up to wellness, natural balance, and merrick.

you are right auntie crazy, it probably IS better for me to find a way to go all raw. they seem to enjoy the raw more consistently and doing frankenprey won't break the bank like ziwi peak or nature's variety does..

i will have to work on it i do want to feed what's best for our kitties but convenience is also a factor. but it does also bother me a bit how unregulated the pet food industry is. i guess i would like to believe that when you pay extra the quality is better, but who knows really then again, our own food industry is pretty bothersome as well, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Last edited by littlesushi; 09-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Kitten

If you are busy, maybe this is of help.
https://www.catforum.com/forum/49-cat...aw-treats.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page