Introducing the kittens to raw :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Introducing the kittens to raw :)

A couple nights ago, we returned from dinner with some mostly-raw steak pieces left over from our meal out.... My husband decided to give one big chunk to Smudge (5.5 months) and half that to Gandolf (10 weeks). They LOVED it. As I was getting the chicken out of the fridge last night to make dinner, I decided I'd just go all out and feed the kittens some bits of it and see what they thought of chicken too.

IT WAS A HIT!!! Smudge's canned food was already out and nearly gone plus Gandolf had already inhaled a bunch of kibble as usual, but I put out enough chicken to make a full meal for them just to see. It was just breast meat (not what I'll normally give), and chunks about half the size of a credit card and 1/2" thick or so. Within an hour, all of it was gone!

Smudge at about 1/3 of the chicken, as he had just eaten a ton of canned food (favorite flavor too), but he kept coming back to lick the plate and get more bites. Gandolf ate the rest and his belly was SOOOOOO roley poley!!! He had to leave a few times and come back, but he finnished it! Gandolf won't touch wet food yet, loves kibble too much or something... but he knows the raw is soooo much yummier and better for him. YAY!!!!

Although it won't be an every day thing for awhile (way too much canned and kibble left in the house, and I want to free-feed them until Gandolf is 6 months old), I have a feeling they will be easy to transition to this diet when I go all out later on. YAY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Cat Addict

Yay! It's great that they're taking to it so easily!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Tom Cat

congrats glad to know they are doing so well =) best of luck to you with the raw feeding. i am also in the transition phase as i also have kibble in the house left, and canned just is sometimes more convenient. look forward to reading about your progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks you two! Smudge isn't too happy that we didn't have a raw treat today again. Gandolf just goes with it, fortunately. Gonna do some food shopping on Saturday, so will ask in the meat department if they have various "throw out" stuffs we can purchase. I'll also see if anyone has wings for sale so they can have some bones to munch too.

I think this is fun to keep me occupied right now as I work my butt off at work and deal with the annoyances of being pregnant...

One question: What about the bacteria being spread thru the house from the raw foods? The kittens can get it on their paws and face, and then go throughout the house with the germs and even encounter us people, right? What should I be concerned about in this matter? I'm one to not worry TOO much about germs, but I am pregnant and will have a baby in the house soon that I need to be concerned about... THANKS!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Cat Addict

I'm not sure, but you just try to be as diligently clean as possible. I literally use the dish sponge and dish washing detergent to wipe down the counters when I'm done butchering. I clean the cutting board and knife afterwards too. I also take their food dish and wash immediately after they're done. Normally, cats don't use their paws to hold down the food when they're eating, it's mostly a dog thing.

Found this for you. It's not reason to be totally alarmed, just be informed and do the necessary diligence, you'll be fine.

Congrats..when are u expecting?

Also if you can, get your hubby to clean out the litterboxes. It's best that you keep away from the box when you are pregnant. Or if you really have to, use a hospital mask and use gloves or wash your hands immediately after cleaning with soap and hot water.

Last edited by marie73; 09-19-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page