Quick question: Raw feeding when you lose electricity? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quick question: Raw feeding when you lose electricity?

Just a thought I had. What happens to your ability to feed your cats when you lose electricity to your home and the raw food starts to spoil? Do/would you try to get them to eat canned/kibble to make up for it?

I used to live in Florida where storms were really bad at times and hurricanes were a nasty reality occasionally. Power outages had to be planned for. I now live in an area where tornadoes do come around occasionally... I just want to prepare for such a case if I do decide to go raw full time in the future (looks like I will in a few months here).

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Cool Cat

There's a definite benefit to keeping some canned on hand for situations like that. Or dehydrated raws are another great option.

They're really expensive so it's not something I'd feed regularly, but I always keep a bag on hand as occasional crunchy treats, and it's nice if you need to feed something that doesn't need to be kept cold in an emergency.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Cat Addict

I'm in Canada and it doesn't happen too often here. Never occurred to me. However if it does, I think my diet would work ok. I have them on a 1/2 raw, 1/2 wet canned diet. So if I can't get my hands on raw, they can eat the canned until I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Senior Cat

If the freezer isn't full, you could fill up ziplocs/jugs with water, and then allow those to freeze. The fuller the freezer is with frozen stuff, the longer it will be able to stay frozen.

Some raw feeders that I know take their dogs camping with them. They freeze the dogs food in a bag, and put that bag in a bag full of water, and then will freeze it. The food stays good for a much longer time that way.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone! I'm doing so much looking into SOOO many things right now. Yay for diet info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page