RMB from turkey? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

RMB from turkey?

Ok, so I have got a source in the works for great pasture raised turkey at excellent prices. And I am wondering if I will be able to get any raw meaty bones from them for the cats. I can get large birds (like 30lbs) which I am sure the bones will be to big. But they have what they call "petites" which are small hens 6-10 lbs. Those of you who have been feeding for awhile do you think I can get any good edible bones off a turkey this size for them? For reference they both will eat any cut of chicken wings including the drummet, bone in breast, ribs, and bone in thighs from 5 lb chickens. My cats are 11 and 13 lbs.

And don't worry about waste, the doggy can have whatever is to big for the kitties. That is what we do with chickens! Hubby and I get the breasts, cats get the wings and ribs, dog gets the back. We split up the thighs and drumsticks depending on if hubby wants to BBq any of them! haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Cat

Sorry, are you saying your cats will eat the bone in a drummet and a chicken thigh? Because that is mighty impressive! Could you tell me your secret? Because I have cats that will barely make it through chicken wing tips and quail bones at the moment

I'm sure people with more experience will be better able to answer your question, but considering the size of bones they're used to now, they should have no problem with the turkey wings (the tips and wingettes). I don't know how a turkey neck would compare to a chicken thigh bone, but if it's too large for them to get their mouths around you could try cutting it in half length ways. I was considering giving that a try until my cats went on strike against bones. Also I should think it would take a pretty massive turkey to have ribs bigger than a chicken thigh bone, so those would probably work too!

Let us know how it goes! You're lucky, it sounds like you're about to have a great source for turkey.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Haha, My secret is pretty simple actually. Tame youngish feral or stray cats that started their lives as barn or basement mousers lol. Watch said mousers hunt kill and eat entire gophers. Never give them kibble so they never become carb junkies.

And yes, Lancelot actually prefers drummets to wingettes. And occassionally he will leave the nubby joint end of the thigh bone, but for the most part loves thighs. He actually ignores wing tips for the most part, he prefers to bat them around the house like a toy instead of eating them.

Figaro is not a huge thigh fan. He loves bone in breast though. (odd cat seems to prefer white meat over dark, I thought most kitties liked dark meat better?) The little bones at the top of the back. I just take most of the breast meat for myself leaving a moderate hunk attatched and he loves them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page