j1n
Jr. Cat

How do you feed raw?

Adding a poll to see how most ppl feed raw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Premier Cat

Ground is just easier for us, I have an extremely finicky, practically toothless, calico who will only eat chicken. I've tried her on chunky stuff, and she just can't do it, it causes her pain after time.

Ground is also easier for my neighbor when she feeds for us (I have an awesome neighbor!!!)

We raise our own meat rabbits, so my other cats get rabbit. Ground rabbit, with supplements, is what has worked for my kitties with food issues, so we've stuck with it. It's the cheapest way for me to feed raw, and I absolutely love love love having the rabbits here!! We had planned to build our herd to be able to sell rabbit to pet customers also, to recoup some costs, and we've reached that point faster than we thought. I just went to my vets clinic friday, and they are 100% on board with what we are doing. I gave them some business cards, and the small animal vet put them right in his rooms for customers to see. Love my vets!!

I will say too, my cats have never gotten bored with eating just ground rabbit or chicken. They eat so much better than when they were on canned. They beg for every meal, and eat everything they are given.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
j1n
Jr. Cat

wow thats cool you raise your own rabbits. i dont have the time or space for that. i live in a condo in northern VA so its not even an option. i havent started homemade yet but ive made the investment and im just waiting for the grinder and supplements. Ive ordered some rabbit from haretoday and some duck. also of course chicken from my local super market which is super cheap (1$ per pound). i did the calculations and if my 2 cats each eat about 6oz a day each then it will cost 1$ per cat per day to maintain that diet. however i think they will be eating more than that.... the seem to be eating a lot of raw compared to the volume of canned they were getting before. they are only 11 weeks and they are eating close to 8-9oz a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Senior Cat

I picked the wrong one! LOL We do a miz of whole/franken/ground. IMO variety is the spice of life, and ground makes it easy to get bone into finicky cats sometimes.

I picked frankenpray, tho, so that's what I get for being a quicktoanswer without looking at everything first. :/

We do whole rats, mice, quail, and franken prey for everything else (frog, rabbits, deer, cow, chicken, pork, fish, emu).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Tom Cat

Newbie x 10

I just started Ritz on commercial raw five days ago, she still gets some high quality wet. I have discontinued all dry. I didn't like what Classic Fancy Feast was doing to her energy level and really didn't like the ingredients. (FF was a godsend when I had to give her Baytril; it was either FF or shoving a pill down her throat.)
She is loving the raw, but not the constant hunger; the volume difference is significant.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Tom Cat

I combo feed commercial raw, frankenprey, and canned. Seems like I am throwing out more canned lately though, the kits want more raw!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Cat

I'm doing frankenprey for the most part, but I'm trying to find somewhere that will grind bones for me. My oldest cat is 14, lived one nothing but medium quality kibble for about 13 years, and just can't get the hang of chewing bones unless I crush them up. Hopefully getting someone to grind them for her will be easiest on both of us.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Cool Cat

I do mostly commercial ground with bits of frankenprey here and there (like chicken wings).
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Tom Cat

AC,
For a very long time I've been feeding her between 8 and 9 ounces (!) of wet food (mainly classic Fancy Feast [around 83 calories per can] and 1/8 cup dry (TOTW) [around 50 calories per 1/8 cup]. And, her weight has been increasing, somewhat slowly. She weighs at least 12 pounds. I can not feel her ribs.
Since Wednesday, I've been trying to restrict her food to: six oz wet (Soulisitc or Weruva, roughly 80 calories per 3 oz) and two ounces of raw (Primal) (50 calories per ounce). I've cut out the dry.
I think the issue may be VOLUME: 3 oz of wet = 1/2 cup of food. 1 oz of raw = around 2 to 3 Tablespoon. I think she may be one of these cats who cannot self-regulate according to caloric intake. (Although if she really doesn't like the taste of something, she will not eat it, even if I'm gone all day.)
She has always been more hungry at night time. During the work week, I'm gone for 11 hours. I'm home more during the day on the weekends, so I feed her more smaller meals, but I haven't noticed a significant difference in hunger/meows.
Also, I am slowly learning that every meow doesn't mean "fed me". Ritz is my first cat/pet, and she is a rescue (lived on the streets for the first four to six months of her life).
I also accept that the problem is Me, not Her.
Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to give you the complete picture.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
j1n
Jr. Cat

how much do you guys spend a month per cat? I calculated it and its going to be roughly 50$ a month per cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page