Raw meat mix. can it really be this simple? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Raw meat mix. can it really be this simple?

This seems too simple. Does anyone use this or any similar product? Can it really be this easy to prepare raw (assuming you by ground poultry)

Wild Kitty Cat Food Homemade Food Kits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Cat

When I was first thinking about trying raw food with my cats I looked at a few of these kinds of raw food premixes. There are other kinds out there as well, like TCfeline or Better in the Raw. I was originally going to buy my own supplements using the recipe on catinfo.org, before I came across the concept of prey model. It all seemed very overwhelming to me at first but it really isn't that complicated to make your own pet food.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Cool Cat

I've looked at the premixes a few times but the pricetag always turns me off. I find it's cheaper or comparative to just buy commercial raw and much cheaper if you can make your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 PM
j1n
Jr. Cat

i just spent that last 2 hours today making 28 pounds of raw and thats with clean up time. most of that 2 hours was prepping the chicken for the grinder.

14lbs of chicken
7lbs of turkey
7lbs of rabbit

the rabbit and turkey i got off haretoday and all i had to do with it was put it in a big bowl, get the wet mix (water + supplements) and add it to the bowl and mix it all together. then i put them in containers and put it in the freezer.

i think that's about as easy as making the wild mix and prob cheaper since the supplements i bought will last many many batches.

i was pretty much forced to make it today since i ran out of raw and they wouldn't eat the back up canned food. once they got a taste of that raw they dont want anything else.

oh btw your bengal looks super cute! i just got two bengal kittens.

Last edited by j1n; 09-29-2011 at 09:13 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Jr. Cat

I once used the premix + ground meat from Whole Foods Market. Although my cats loved the food, it was an expensive option so I quickly turned to home-made version.

Like j1n, I also use recipe from catinfo.org. It takes about 2-3 hours to make ~12lb food and then clean-up. It's a manageable task but my hubby sometimes complains about me spending too much time on cat food. :p
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccomaya View Post
... but my hubby sometimes complains about me spending too much time on cat food. :p
Next time, ask him if he'd like to help to move things along a bit quicker.

Or ask how long he thinks a snap of the finger makes HIS food too? You could always let him know the more he complains, the longer it will take to make HIS dinner. LOL

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page