A cat who doesn't want to stop eating? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

A cat who doesn't want to stop eating?

I know AC mentioned something about cats will eventually self regulate.. but... what if they never start doing that?

We have 5 kids. Of the 5, four self regulate just fine. All rescues of various ages.

Zaqkeri - 17 - barn kitten saved from drowning, used to be obese and addicted to crunchies
Jasper - 4 - barn kitten, started raw at 8-11mths and never looked back
Elliot - 4 - feral kitten - on deaths door when we got him, stopped eating the day after we took him in and I had to syringe feed him for 2-4weeks to keep him alive. King Of Self-Regulating (often we have to force him to eat, this is the kid who eats ONCE a day now)
Charlie - 2 - blind (found in a barn half dead at 12wks with infection and so skinny- this matters for my explanation later), great at self regulating (will often miss a meal if she's not in the mood)
Mia - 2 - found on the side of a highway at 10-12wks - DOES NOT SELF REGULATE!! This cat eats the SAME stuff as the rest of my kids, no difference. She is just a food hound! If someone else leaves anything behind, she eats it. If she finished first (when they werent kenneled for eating) - she's steal others meals.

I seriously don't know what to do about this cat! She's is almost always overweight, because we are feeding her smaller amounts and then she steals food. I honestly want to just let her eat to bursting ONCE and see if that helps... any ideas?

(We feed frankenprey and whole prey, and some ground meat [not premade]).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Premier Cat

I had a blue tabby Manx once that was a Mr. Piggy. He just didn't have a brake on his appetite and like your girl would gobble down his food and then push everyone out of the way on theirs and eat as much as was left. I had to put him in a separate room, or kennel until the others had as much as they wanted before I could let him out. There was never any free feeding in my house. He was always pretty pudgy and I was never able to get him to a normal weight. If I reduced it too much, he was very aggressive with the other cats. He eventually died of a tumor on his bladder at age 15-/1/2 yrs, but for all those years it was a juggling act.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Premier Cat

I can sympathize with kitty. That's how I feel about food sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

This is Charlee. My little Hoover. In the evenings, I have to stand next to the twinz while they eat, so when Charlee finishes, I click the laser pointer on and off, and she'll run over and play with that while Cali finishes her meal. I can stand there and say "No!" and sometimes that works. In the morning, though, I can't wait around, so I'm sure Charlee pushes Cali out of the way and finishes her food once she's done.

Pig.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Cat

Yup, that is Mui Mui.

We got her from city shelter, and the shelter said she was found in a park. Mui was 3 months old when we got her. She eats everything and at anytime. The vet said it is probably because she did not know when will her have food again while she was in the park, so now she just eats whenever there is food.

She vomitted a few times because of over eating, but that does not stop her. She is now 13 months old and I think she is about 16 lbs. I start feeding them 2 meals per day on the days I have to work, and 3 smaller meals per day when I am at home. I separate Mui from the other 2, sometimes in a room, sometimes just watch over her and tell her NO if she wants others' food.

We also play da bird with all 3 of them every night. Mui runs and plays hard, and I have no idea why she is not losing weight....The vet told us she was too fat when she was 5 months old. Her annual check is coming soon, I am sure the vet will say she is way too fat.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

AC, we feed twice a day.

Kelly

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Three feedings isn't working. She's still stealing! Naughty girl.

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page