raw meat, but no organs or bone yet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

raw meat, but no organs or bone yet

When you are starting your kittens on a raw diet, how long can you go without them getting the appropriate amount of bone and organs? I've just started giving them strips of chicken breast. I haven't been able to find kidneys or liver yet (but will try looking again tomorrow). In addition, they aren't able to eat bones yet. They definitely tried, but didn't even make a dent in the bone. I did try hitting the bones with a mallet, which didn't do much good either. Peanut and Pumpkin are about 6-6.5 months old. Looking at old threads, it looks like younger kittens have been able to eat bone, so I'm not sure why these two are having so much trouble. I'll try giving them some egg shells tonight.

So how long do I have before they become affected by the lack of appropriate nutrients? They still get some grain free canned food (which I'm hoping makes up for the lack of bones and organs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Tom Cat

it took a little bit of an adjustment for our kittens to start eating bones, and even now if they aren't small like quail bones or smashed up they will spit it out or not even attempt. every cat might be different. we started feeding our kittens raw at around 5-6 months. i would definitely stick with doing raw part time if you aren't yet incorporating organs and bones just to make sure that they are getting the nutrition they need.

good luck, and just be persistent! =) look forward to hearing about your progress.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the advice. I found some chicken liver and cornish hen at a grocery store today. When I asked if they had speen or kidney the guy looked at me like I wanted to sacrifice babies at an alter or something I'll have to keep hunting for organs. Little monsters ate veal today and have kept it down so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Kitten

Hi purple - I'm new to raw as well and my baby is a bit younger than your two - about 4 months old.

I haven't given her organs yet either - she's still getting some 'advance' wet food between raw meals just in case. I'm super squeamish about organs actually so even though I saw a pack of kidneys in the supermarket yesterday, I thought to myself, 'next time' haha Same thing with hearts actually. What can I say, I'm a city girl who prefers my meat already prepared...

Hoping to find a butcher who will chop up some kidney/liver for me (and perhaps come and feed it to kitty as well.. just kidding, sortof) to save me from it! What a sook huh.

Anyway, I've found she's taken really quickly to chicken meat - I don't think she actually ate the bone in the rib bit I gave her yesterday but she devoured all around it so she's getting there. I'm finding that lots of small portions are best. When I overload the plate, sometimes she walks away but if I chop off little bits, she gets down to business easily.
(Obviously I'm not measuring or weighing but that's a whole different thread I guess!)

Let me know how yours go when they start on bones and organs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I cut up a cornish hen today and the kittens still weren't able to eat the bones (alhtough I gave them the cornish hen wingtips... I couldn't figure out how to cut up the spine or whatever else it was). Cutting up this stuff is hard work!

Thanks for the egg recipe AC. I'll do that one of these days.

Griselda - if you find a butcher that chops up all the organs for you, send him my way!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Kitten

Hehe no luck on that front yet but I did find chicken hearts and livers and dove in with my plastic gloves to baggy them all up. Ewww.
She ate a bit of liver but nowhere near the portion sizes I've frozen. She's nuts for chicken hearts too yay.

The only problem really is me and my obsessive concern about whether she's eating the right stuff and whether her poop is normal and frequent enough! Is she peeing enough? Drinking enough? Are the bones lodged in her intestines?! There was some blood on her poo the other day so I fed her wet pack food for the next day thinking I'd caused her some hideous trauma but it's been ok since then. I never remember pet ownership being so stressful when I was a kid!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

griselda -
Glad you found chicken hearts and livers! My kittens like the chicken hearts to. I haven't given them liver yet... their poop is runny enough. I think it's ok to have some blood in the poop occasionally on raw food (or at least I remember seeing people mention it in older threads).

Yeah, I agree about pet ownership not seeming this stressful as a kid! I can't remember my dad ever doing any of this for his cats. He put out dry food every day and that was that. No raw food, no buying measuring scales, no dry hands from washing every 2 seconds after touching raw meat, etc.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Cat Addict

Although pricey, you may want to try quail. I find it pretty easy to butcher compared to chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page