Whole Prey Questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Whole Prey Questions

So my pair is doing great on raw. They are enjoying their already cut meat.
I had some questions on raw whole prey. I saw that mice, rats, quail, rabbits..etc were good.
What size rats/mice would I feed? My cats are adults, one is 10 lbs the other we are still trying to put weight on.
I can get lots of feeders from reptile vendors for a pretty good price.
Also my friend had given me several large and medium rats. Would I have to cut them up to divide between the two or are they an okay size?
What do you guys feed(as in whole prey)
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Tom Cat

I have a few probably stupid questions. I used to feed raw to my dog, but it was a lot to manage. Would it be a nutritionally complete diet for a cat to ONLY be fed whole prey items? I have a snake, and thus am used to the whole ordering frozen prey items thing. I am just kicking ideas around as I have an adult cat and two new baby kittens that we are bottle raising. They were abandoned by their mother, one of my ferals.

Anyway, I am looking for a diet that would be easy and acceptable for both the adult and the kittens. I have easy access to gerbils, mice, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, and baby chickens through frozen suppliers. What, if any of this is acceptable? And I was reading that crickets can be added to the diet, What about Blaptica Dubia Roaches? I hate crickets, and have a colony of the dubias to feed my two bearded dragons.

Sorry to pirate away your thread.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Tom Cat

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the dubias have the taurine that crickets do..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Tom Cat

So I gave kyra a pink. No interest. So I cut it up(eeh... ) and still nothing. I put a tiiiiiny bit of a stinkey treat crushed up in the bowl with a little water too(she looooves the gravy from canned food lol) STILL nothing. So after about ten minutes I gave up and gave it to my dog. I am not going to let her have a kibble buffet though. I'll try another pink a little later. Any other suggestions? She used to love raw chicken and beef and stuff(was feeding dog raw, she got some scraps, too) so I thought this would be a little easier...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page