home made diet, change in Tiger! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

home made diet, change in Tiger!

Since Tiger has been on this food trial I realize his stools are much less stinky and much smaller! I read on Dr. Pierson's website that was a nice change, have you experienced this as well? I am just amazed because I thought wellness was the best canned food ever.. but nothing matches the homemade food huh?

I have also noticed that if I don't put broccoli in it, he is more reluctant to eat it, Tiger LOVES lettuce, broccoli and anything green really, he has never had a hairball in his life, I know that our cats don't need veggies but if they love it, that's not harm right?

In regards to the homemade food having an organ.. (I am almost vegetarian so this is hard for me!) is it OK to do liver powder? I noticed that Dr Pierson suggested bone powder for those who won't own a grinder...
Since I cook the meat (eat least the outside.. this is a huge advancement considering Tiger has never eaten "raw"), do the vitamins B, E, Fish oil, Bone powder and taurine dissipate while cooking it?
If so should I add more?

OK time to shut up, I just want to know what your point of view is on this.. It is nice to know the support of my cat lover friends

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Premier Cat

Hyper - When my MowMow was on straight raw it was wonderful. A few odorless marbles in the litterbox a few times a week. Not to mention how sleek and shiney his coat was. There was a major jump in his health when I went from dry to canned and then canned to raw. SUCH a big difference all around.

As for vegetables, fiber IS good for them. My guys get a few tsps - 1 tblsp of pureed pumpkin(Not pie filling) in their food once a day and I never have hairballs. As soon as I stop for any length of time MowMOw starts gacking up on my carpet.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Hyper - When my MowMow was on straight raw it was wonderful. A few odorless marbles in the litterbox a few times a week. Not to mention how sleek and shiney his coat was. There was a major jump in his health when I went from dry to canned and then canned to raw. SUCH a big difference all around.

As for vegetables, fiber IS good for them. My guys get a few tsps - 1 tblsp of pureed pumpkin(Not pie filling) in their food once a day and I never have hairballs. As soon as I stop for any length of time MowMOw starts gacking up on my carpet.
Thanks for sharing your story! It feels good
Do you recommend using liver powder for us with a weaker stomach? Do you use bone powder?? or real bone?
Thank you.

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Cat Addict

Maria, good on you for making the switch to raw! The changes in the litter boxes and the cats themselves are really noticeable aren't they. I've gone from dry to canned to full-frakenprey, and now we are on half raw half canned (only because one of my girls, Rochelle, simply cannot live without her canned...so I compromised. ).

I've never had to do supplements, as I've only feed whole organs, bone, and never cooked my meats before hand. But I can tell you that even a small amount of the cooking process can cause some of the nutrients in the food to decay...obviously the longer you cook, the more nutrients are lost. A quick sear shouldn't be too much of a problem though. Just remember to never use a microwave to cook the food, and if you do decide to do bone, remember never to cook it, as cooked bone can splinter and cause issues inside of your cat.

Also, I know you mentioned being very close to vegetarian (I can understand not wanting to mess with raw meats!), but if you wanted to do a ground mixture, you could ask your local grocer or butcher if they would grind the meats and bone together for you...that way you just add your supplements and yer good to go! But you won't be able to cook it this way. Bone powder can be an option, but honestly, nothing beats real un-cooked bone, as the marrow is also very healthy. I used to do an eggshell powder (I toasted eggshells in the oven and then ground them super fine), but again, eggshells aren't real bone, so it's not the best way to go about it.

I'd definitely give some added taurine though, and if you don't want to deal with a taurine supplement or give real raw hearts, I highly recommend a freeze dried treat. I give my girls Bravo! brand Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts and they go crazy for them. It's a nice way to give some added taurine without all the mess.

As for the canned, I stick with the best I can get and afford, all grain-free, and most are organic. Besides Rochelle's deep seeded love for the stuff, I also feed the canned to ensure they are getting enough water in the day...Rochelle and Alice are notorious for not drinking enough, so a little added water in their canned goes a long way.

Best of luck to you and your Tiger!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertweeky View Post
Thanks for sharing your story! It feels good
Do you recommend using liver powder for us with a weaker stomach? Do you use bone powder?? or real bone?
Thank you.
I used real bone and I found out something wonderful about my local grocery store butcher. If I took the liver up to them and asked them to cut it into bite sized pieces..they DID IT! Then I just had to handle it enough to divide it into baggies and freeze .

I'm looking forward to being able to put them back on raw now that Im working and can afford the rabbit and duck that MowMow has to eat (allergies to the uber cheap chicken and turkey).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page