Convincing kitties that mice are delicious? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Convincing kitties that mice are delicious?

Ok, so I put thought into it and decided feeding whole prey is the easiest and one of the cheaper methods to give my kitties the best nutrition possible. I figured it would be a breeze to switch them over. WRONG.

Kyra is free fed kibble 24/7 and gets wet food at night. I know kibble is not great, but I bought a huge bag right before signing up on this forum. As far as I know, she has always eaten kibble with wet supplemented. I got her roughly a year ago and she was around 6 months when I adopted her. Her previous owner said she ate Blue with fancy feast wet. I have since upgraded her to Merricks wet.

Anyway, I tried to feed her a pink a few weeks ago. I thawed it out(Have a baby cornsnake) and gave it to her in a dish. ten minutes later it was still there. I cut it into three pieces. Nothing. Added cat milk, nothing. Added a crushed stinky treat(dehydrated salmon), nothing. Tossed out the mouse as it had been sitting out for some time. The next day I gave her two tablespoons of kibble in the morning then waited. At night I repeated the pink trials with the same results. I gave in and gave her canned food.

Fast forward to now and I am STILL not making any progress! What am I doing wrong?? Is it possible she doesn't like mice and I should try another prey item?

My other question is how to wean a kitten onto whole prey? I'm figuring it will be easier to get Tucker onto them as he doesn't know anything else. I was thinking blending a few pinks into KMR in a shallow dish instead of mixing wet food and milk as per the usual weaning process. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Senior Cat

Try mixing the pinks INTO the canned food. Cut up at first, then once she eats them you can leave larger chunks.

See if Tucker will just eat a pinkie or two (smushed, cut up, whatever) once he's about 4 weeks old... I think that's when they generally start eating some solids?

Are you able to get a wide variety of whole prey? Mice, rats, ASF, frogs, chicks, quail, baby rabbits, etc? Doing ONLY whole prey still means you have to do a large variety.. and I would add in some chunky stuff on occasion for fun.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I have access to mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, baby chickens through my frozen supplier. Is that enough or should I raise something too?

Also, I tried the pink cut in three pieces in her wet food. Was a no go. Should I try smaller pieces to trick her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Senior Cat

Absolutely smaller pieces! Anything to get her eating it (and not noticing). Ground works well too if you could handle it.

As for variety, I don't see much issue with what you can get. I would still suggest using chunks of other meats for variety (there are no reptiles or bugs in that, for example). Venison, elk, buffalo, emu, duck. Other whole prey items I would see if I could get would include: quail, frogs, crickets, beetles, etc etc.

Goodluck with kitty!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for the luck. The best I could do with lizards would be American Chameleons or Anoles(Same lizard, different name). I have two bearded dragons, and wouldn't have the heart to feed anything else.

I forgot to mention, I have a colony of Blaptica Dubia Roaches for the dragons.

I can get Bison from the local supermarket, but emu and venison I will have to look for.

Actually, now that I think of it, there is a large Asian supermarket near here, maybe they will have it.

I have a blender and a boyfriend. How finely ground?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Sorry for double post, Elk I will need to look for too, duck will prolly be at the Asian supermarket.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Senior Cat

Finely ground enough that she won't need to chew it at first (they can be so finicky!) like canned food consistency. I know it sounds weird, but my one picky eater would eat pinks coated in tuna juice/parm cheese. STINKY! LOL

I bet my kids would LOOOVE anoles! We feed frog here and they LOVE it (ofcourse, the first 2-3 times I offered it they were hesitant - darn cats!). You have a pretty cool variety there, lucky kitties! The only thing I might add is a small Omega dense fish every so often.

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page