Fruits, vegs and wheat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Fruits, vegs and wheat?

Must? How much? Which?

Or is it just for the flavor variety, as a treat? I thought cats didn't like them, but my cats have licked my asparagus cream soup, nibbled at my wheat crackers and I think Prince licked some mango once.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Premier Cat

It doesn't seem to matter around here, if it is something I'll eat it's something they want and that they will eat as well.

I try to really limit anything with grain though as it sets off MowMow's allergies and I try to keep dairy products (and anything else gassy/diarrhea causing) to a minimum since I have to clean the litter box.....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Since cats are obligate carnivores we can probably get away without feeding them fruits/veggies at all but instead provide meat variation to keep their interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Tom Cat

Well, they don't need it because they are carnivores, but I don't dare eat a slice of bread without Logan on the other side eating off the unguarded end lol.

I also have to share the whipped cream on my hot chocolates, mushroom soup, and my Doritos chips. Logan likes pineapple too, he's a little weird.

I very very rarely let them have this kind of stuff because I don't honestly think its very good for them. I do let them have a lick of butter now and then, I read somewhere it helps with hairballs and they love it

I have plants they are allowed to chew on, I have "donated" a spider plant to them to chew with abandon. I tried growing grass indoors, but they made such a mess of it I had to get rid of it. That's as close to veggies they get.

Onions, garlic and chocolate are big no no's -very toxic to them. My cats love the smell of onion. If I chop an onion in dinner then go down to see them after dinner (and after I've done the dishes etc), all four will come and sniff my hand, Kisa and Logan will grab my hand and scent it, lick, bite, chew, gnaw and roll around like it's catnip. There is none actually on me, it's just the smell of it. I have to be careful because they get pretty feisty, to the point of drawing blood and they get really nasty when I pull away lol.

Anyways....that's my take on it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats&Plants View Post
I also have to share the whipped cream on my hot chocolates
I think I've just realized that my love for my cats isn't limitless.

I was asking about fruits and vegs because I see that the best brands of wet food mix in a little fruit or veg, such as carrot, green pea, etc.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
I think I've just realized that my love for my cats isn't limitless.

I was asking about fruits and vegs because I see that the best brands of wet food mix in a little fruit or veg, such as carrot, green pea, etc.
I've wondered about that—I know there are corn/rice fillers in some foods but I'm not sure why food-manufacturers would advertise fruits/veggies for carnivores. But, I think it's more about getting humans to buy the food than anything else.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxKitteh View Post
I've wondered about that—I know there are corn/rice fillers in some foods but I'm not sure why food-manufacturers would advertise fruits/veggies for carnivores. But, I think it's more about getting humans to buy the food than anything else.
This, imo. If someone bothers to read the ingredients on pet food and sees 'good' stuff like blueberries and carrots, it appeals to them to think they're feeding their pets a healthy diet. I think most people probably think in terms of what would be healthy for a human, so the fruits and veg sound good to them in theory.

But I think it's definitely more to appeal to the human than the cat - given a choice between a bowl of fresh, ripe blueberries and a bowl of raw, bloody chicken liver my cats would go for the liver, which you could never pay me enough to eat In my opinion if it's not something they would eat naturally then it's probably not something they need. Although I don't think occasional treats or the small amount of fruit and veg in canned food does any actual harm.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What surprises me is that companies like Animonda, which are known as best of the best, add fruit and vegs in their wet food, and will even charge more for "special recipes" that have these ingredients. Natural Balance too, charges more for the "chicken with green peas" flavor than the other flavors without vegs.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Cat Addict

It's like with anything else...gimmicks! We automatically think of vegetables as healthy and they are valuable to us for human consumption. In the human market, we pay more for vegetables so why shouldn't this translate into the pet food industry if people are willing to pay more for it? Even the most responsible pet food companies are still running a business.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
What surprises me is that companies like Animonda, which are known as best of the best, add fruit and vegs in their wet food, and will even charge more for "special recipes" that have these ingredients. Natural Balance too, charges more for the "chicken with green peas" flavor than the other flavors without vegs.
Surprises me too. You can see bits of carrot and peas in Nature's Variety Instinct's high quality no-grain wet.

Now on the topic, none of my cats have tried to steal any of my food. I don't trust them alone with any food though, but even when I am present, they don't pay the slightest attention to the food in front of me. Probably cuz I've never table fed them and food is never left out unattended. Actually only Rocky the dog bugs me for food sometimes, but I never table feed him either.

And I also don't believe in fruits, vegetables, wheat for obligate carnivores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page