Raw Food Success For First-Timer! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Raw Food Success For First-Timer!

Hi all,

Well, I read pages and pages of info (including some older threads) about raw food, and I decided to take the plunge coz my 4-month old kitteh is not too keen on almost any brand of wet food. He never ate with gusto or conviction, and it bothered me. He loved his dry kibble, but we know how bad that is for kitties.

So, I went and got some Primal raw food formula as well as some turkey hearts and gizzards from the market. At first, he ate a little Primal...more than he would normally eat from wet food. It was still a little cold, and maybe he didn't like that. I had read about raw free-feeding for kittens because they need to eat more often, and sure enough he finished his whole bowl of food. It wasn't even that much (coz I am used to him wasting food) but man, he ate it all!

This morning, my girlfriend gave him some more Primal duck formula with some sliced turkey hearts and he was into it! He was chewing away on those hearts like nobody's business, using his little teeth as they were meant to be used. He has his appetite now.

Now, I can't wait to try him out with a chicken wing and see how he attacks the bones! For the first time in two weeks, my kitten finally has a bulging, happy belly and was excited to eat and I am glad to see it.

Raw for life now!

Last edited by MaxKitteh; 11-22-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Tom Cat

congrats! so happy to hear! it is so gratifying watching the kitties chomping down on what nature intended them to eat
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Cat Addict

Great! Glad you found a way to get his appetite up. Although not exactly the same, I had a similar issue with my dog. After switching to raw from wet/dry, he ate with interest and gusto instead of turning his nose up at food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's amazing isn't it? I was sitting there just so happy to watch him eat, really *wanting* to eat and chomping away on organs/meat. He's not fussed about it sitting out a bit either since he still likes to eat frequently. In fact he'd rather eat raw food sitting out a few hours than brand new, delicious-smelling wet food out of a can. While I know cats can handle the raw meat sitting out (it's actually warms up nicely over time), I'll make sure I don't leave it out too long. Maybe I can get some advice on that too.

Great to see his little belly all full after some enthusiastic eating. Finally! I was thinking he was sick or something before and was starting to worry, which is why I was so heavily research cat food/diet possibilities.

Last edited by MaxKitteh; 11-22-2011 at 03:44 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Tom Cat

Congratulations!
Yeah, there is nothing like the sound of crunching bones to make Mommy happy. I'm slowly transitioning Ritz back to Frankenprey (from commercial raw). Yesterday I gave her some raw rabbit with a small amount of bone attached, thinking she'd eat around the bone. Nope, crunch crunch crunch.
I'm gone for 10 to 11 hours at a time and, for better or worse, Ritz invariably finishes her breakfast before I leave for work. I have heard of other people leaving out a piece of frozen/thawing raw meat; by the time your cat is hungry, the meat has thawed. If by chance any food is left by the time I return home, I throw it away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks! Yeah the fridge to bowl method works well too...and helps keep things fresh as kitty works over the still-warming meat. Where do you get frankenprey or do you just get meats from the market?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Premier Cat

Congrats!!! Isn't it awesome to see them so happy!!

Quote:
He never ate with gusto or conviction, and it bothered me. He loved his dry kibble, but we know how bad that is for kitties.
This is what I noticed with my Lucy too. She eats every meal now, and loves her raw!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Tom Cat

I just buy meats (Frankenprey) from the supermarket. I buy meat/poultry that is close to the "sell by" date because it's much cheaper. Cats don't know the difference.
I have also found that international/ethnic supermarkets have a greater variety of unusual meats, like rabbit and quail, as well as organ/non-organ meats (like, tongue or a, um, cow's private parts). Where I live (Washington, DC area), frozen rabbit costs about $4 a pound, no organs, unfortunately, and six frozen quail costs about $11.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Ritz...good advice. Do you tend to freeze everything and only thaw before use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page