Score!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Score!!!!!

Hubby usually goes deer hunting every year, but he hasn't the last couple years because he's been so busy at this time of year. But yesterday, on his way to the job site, he slammed on his brakes, and quickly put it in reverse. Someone had just hit a deer with their car, and left it. It was alive, but it was suffering. He called the sheriff, and they came out to put it out of it's misery, and tagged it for him! So we have venison for the freezer, and we'll process a portion of it for the kitties! WOO HOO!!!!!

It was a way sad circumstance of how the meat was presented for us, but in the end, the deer is no longer suffering, and we get to put some greatly appreciated meat in our freezer for us, and the kitties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Premier Cat

First off, pretty crappy of the people to leave the deer there suffering without calling someone out to help.

Second... That is the ONLY! thing I miss about NJ. My brothers are avid deer hunters.

Venison minute steaks with onions and peppers... lucky you and very lucky kitties!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Tom Cat

At least he didn't slam on the brakes and grab the rifle he keeps behind the truck seat to kill one that was standing off to the side of the road... That's my dad for ya. He's a hunting nut... but we always have meat in the freezer, and we give a lot of it away to local families who can't afford a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I agree Krissy! Sadly deer/vehicle hits around here are very common, especially at this time of year. They probably didn't realize it was still alive.

It was a 7 pt buck, and thankfully Dave got to it first, because there was SEVERAL hunters who stopped, and asked if he was taking it. Right place.......at the right time as they say!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Cat

Wow 7 pt buck!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Cat

Before I moved last summer I lived out in the woods in the middle of no where and one summer I was chilling inside when all of a sudden I heard this screaming outside. My mom and I ran outside and there was a bear in our drive way attacking a deer. My dads gf saw the bear go running off into the woods after all the people showed up. We knew we had a bear on the property but the bear doesn't like our dogs and has always stayed away from the house till this happened! Anyways the dear was lying in our flower bed, poor thing was injured beyond repair, drooling but alive. It's back was splayed open and my mom thinks the bear got it's spinal cord. We tried to call the sherif to come shoot the deer and they flipped "OMG A BEAR!? DID YOU GET A VIDEO OF IT!?" "What? No! I was more worried about a black bear in my yard than about grabbing my camera to video tape it! Can you just send someone out here to get the deer?" "Oh don't worry about the deer it'll probably wander off and die on its own but if its still there tomorrow we'll send someone to come pick it up" "Sooo you want us to sit here with bear meat in our front yard while it suffers and dies slowly?" "Oh hold on give me your address so we can send trappers up there to kill the bear!" " WHAT? NO! leave the bear alone, it's fine as long as it stays up there just get someone to take the deer away!" Finally my mom ended the conversation and hung up. An hour later a cop shows up and starts driving around our property like he owns the place looking for the bear! My dad was so depressed about the whole thing he had to have one of his employees shoot the deer, i don't know what they did with it but they took it away. A week later we saw an article in the newspaper that read "Bear attacks suburban neighborhood, kills deer in someones front lawn" O.o Just so you all know, living 26 miles from town with no neighbors within walking distance doesn't make it a suburban neighborhood.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Jr. Cat

Venison minute steaks with onions and peppers... lucky you and very lucky kitties![/QUOTE]

thats sounds lush, its making my mouth water!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Tom Cat

Ritz likes deer, and my nephew is going to give me GROUND venison (without organs or bone) in a couple of weeks. I know I'll have to supplement it with other organ/non organ/bone. She's been eating raw/commercial raw for around three months.
Is venison considered a 'fatty' meat? She needs to loose some weight. Ritz's favorite raw is rabbit, but she seems to be really really hungry all day when I feed her that meat (as opposed to just "really" hungry). She will eat beef, prefers chicken. Loves chicken hearts.
Thanks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Cat Addict

I find that going on raw, you dont' really have to worry about the kind of meat you're feeding. As long as you pay attention to the total amount you're feeding. Average is 2-3% of body weight, so if too fat, then to for the lower end of the spectrum at 2%. Likewise if too thin then increase.

Yah, I'm one of those ppl who don't believe in sport hunting but I won't get into a debate here. Just wanted to say I agree that if the animal is suffering, you might as well help it along the way. It's very cruel to just leave it there.

But back to the OP, it was a pretty sad situation, but at least it's not suffering anymore and your kitties got a source of fresh meat.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It was a small young buck, but hey, free is free, and we can't be choosy! We trimmed most of the fat off, because of the gamey smell/taste we add portions of beef for added fat to our human portion. The kitties will get fish oil added into their portion. After processing, we ground everything except the back straps/tenderloin for steaks. We got 26 lbs of ground burger for us, and 26 lbs of ground for the kitties! SA-WEET!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page