Cat can't handle raw chicken anymore? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat can't handle raw chicken anymore?

I have what seems to me to be a strange situation and I would love to get some input.
We decided to switch our 11 month old cat Moo to raw food about 6 weeks ago. She was eating canned happily, so as a test we gave her some chicken breast, which she devoured bones and all with no problems. This boosted our confidence as we knew we wouldn't have a fight on our hands in terms of getting her to eat it.
We bought a grinder and made our first batch of ground chicken with chunked meat following the with bone recipe from cat nutrition except for no glandular supplement(couldn't find it around and didn't want to wait to order it). We froze the food in freezer bags and she ate about 1/2 cup of the food a day for 1 week with enthusiasm, no problems, and we saw a jump in her energy level and her coat.
On the 8th day of eating raw she lost vomited her raw meal about 30mins after eating it and then lost interest in the food, and wasn't using her litter. We thought maybe constipation or hairball something like that and she was acting normal otherwise. Trying not to be too alarmist we gave her a couple days to recover, she ate a little wet food with lots of extra water to keep her hydrated with no problems but wasn't particularly enthusiastic about eating. After about a day and a half she coughed up a hairball and was hungry. She would eat but any time she had the raw chicken she vomited it up 30mins later. A couple more hairballs followed the next day. (Perhaps lacking fiber in the food lead to the hairballs).

We put her on wet food (Wellness chicken, turkey, chicken and beef) to make sure she was healthy before trying more raw. She has since eating small pieces of beef (when we were having it for dinner) with no problems, we have tried chicken twice since (not from our batch but pieces fresh from the store) but she vomited it up 30mins after eating as before.

Is it not strange that she stomached the chicken just fine for a week and now rejects it? Is this a common thing for a cat to be unable to eat a certain meat?
Thanks for reading and for any thoughts of advice that you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Here is a link to the recipe we followed:
recipes - cat nutrition
I'll post here exactly what we did use(note that we made a double recipe):
2 whole chickens with half skin removed (just less than 4 kg)
800g heat/gizzard mix (the only way to get heart around was with gizzards, it was about half and half so 400g heart as required)
400g raw liver
8 raw egg yolks
8000mg salmon oil
1600IU Vitamin E
400mg Vitamin B-50 complex
3tsp Lite salt
4 cups water

This is very close the recipe that I linked except no glandular supplement, and some gizzards were included. We ground everything except for chunking most of the breasts and thighs. We did use organs, just no glandular supplement. We did not include any psyllium husks.
Thanks for your help!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Or rather, 800g of raw heart from 1600g heart/gizzard mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The bones in the mix are quite small. Half the size or smaller then the ones in this photo from catinfo:

We will certainly try some other proteins. I was under the impression that chicken, turkey and rabbit were the most appropriate in terms of fat percentage and such among easy to source meats. Can anyone direct me to some information about creating a well balanced diet using meats like pork and beef?

Does fiber have any benefits to a cat? I was under the impression that it can help cats to more easily pass hair through their system rather than it forming a ball to be vomited up.

Thank you for all the useful information. I am pleased to hear that this may be temporary. She is doing very well on canned food for now .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We tried feeding her a small piece of raw turkey thigh. She ate it but threw it up after about half an hour. Something about poultry she doesn't like I guess..? Any ideas?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Cat

Do you feed her straight from the fridge? I only mention it because my older cat had a problem throwing up chicken thighs too. I started warming her food in a bowl of warm water and I haven't had a problem since.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We warm the food first also, since she had trouble with cold food once. Thanks for the input though
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Cat

Shoot, worth a try!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Jr. Cat

I don't know much about it, but I would try different kind of meat other than poultry - e.g. rabbit may be good. One of my kitties sometimes have diarrhea or vomit when I feed raw chicken. I still don't know why he has that problem. But, I now give him chicken only once a week or less, and I started adding probiotic and enzyme supplement and that seems to help.

In addition, did you try to give him just the meat only to see if the meat is the culprit? It could be due to egg yoke, chicken liver, or heart.

Last edited by ccomaya; 01-06-2012 at 12:45 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We have tried just straight meat I've been thinking of trying just a piece of liver or heart to see if that sits well with her. Since even if we can feed her rabbit we will likely need to use chicken organs.
Rabbit is definitely the next thing to try. I'll be interested to see if she can handle it and also if the price is reasonable enough that it can be a staple of her diet, she is a little piggy hehe.
Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page