post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Advice re food variety, please!!

Prince and Princess will eat only:

- chicken breast
- chicken liver
- cow kidney
- wet - canned or pouch
- dry - Prince, part of the time. Princess, only if I starve her.

I'm worried because I think I'm feeding them too much of the above, due to the reduced variety they will eat. It's also expensive. I'm really-really hoping for ideas... I've tried mixing other meats / organs with the wet, didn't help.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

One weird thing: if I buy chicken hearts, they don't touch them, whatever I do. But if I buy the chicken liver they love at a certain store where hearts come attached to the livers, they eat the hearts with gusto...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What my cats can't resist is commercial cat food gravy, so there's not enough in a can to do what you say... And I tried homemade gravy, they didn't touch it...

I feel I have to feed them (no-grain) kibble because it has nutrients not found in the 3 meats and the wet they do eat...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Tom Cat

Try mincing up those chicken hearts that come with the liver, and burying them at the top and/or bottom of the (new to them) meat.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
What my cats can't resist is commercial cat food gravy, so there's not enough in a can to do what you say... And I tried homemade gravy, they didn't touch it...

I feel I have to feed them (no-grain) kibble because it has nutrients not found in the 3 meats and the wet they do eat...
Hi; I don't understand. How can your kibble have more nutrients than your canned food unless the canned you are feeding is unsupplemented? You really want to avoid feeding kibble when you feed a raw diet. First of all, unless you are storing the kibble in the freezer or refrigerator, your cats will be able to smell it and they'll want to hold out for it. Kibble is manufactured to be very appealing to cats by the addition of the animal digest and fats sprayed on the outside of it.

Secondly, kibble moves throught the digestive tracts of cats very slowly in comparison or raw or canned foods. If you feed raw food while kibble is still present it will back up the raw food and give any bacteria that may be present on the raw meat a chance to grow. One of the reasons that we don't have to worry about the bacteria that may be present on raw meat is that the food moves very quickly through a cat's digestive tract.

I agree though, that it would be best to add additional protein sources to your cat's diet. Have you tried turkey, that's a lot like chicken and they might be willing to give it a try. How about lamb? It's expensive, but it really appeals to most cats.

Best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page