MORE whole prey questions, LOL - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Question MORE whole prey questions, LOL

Ok, so Kyra has taken a major step back. Now she only very reluctantly touches wet food. For her it seems to be kibble or nothing. Advice? I was thinking of blending pinks(BLECH) into wet food and giving her that. If she won't touch it I would mix in a bit of kibble. I just have no idea what to do. Tucker eats the mouse pinks with gusto. Swallows them whole! (lol not really, but may as well be)

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to starve her into anything, but I have started giving her kibble at set meal times, as opposed to free feeding. I put out wet, then if she hasn't touched it in an hour I give in and give her a couple tablespoons of kibble. I put the wet in the fridge and reoffer it once or twice more that day. I am wasting so much food with her(Not really, as after the second or third time offering it, it goes to the wild cats. They love Kyra's stubbornness. ). It is merricks wet food-not cheap stuff. Am I even going about this transition the right way? The end goal is to have her and Tucker 100%(or 95% the other 5% being canned) on whole prey. Lots of variety. Mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, bugs(occasionally), frogs, lizards, day old chicks, guinea pigs, rabbits etc etc etc will all find their way onto the dinner plate.

The other thing worth noting is that Tucker and Kyra eat separately. Tucker in our bedroom(his 'safe zone'. Stupid kitten thinks wires are THE BEST TOY EVER) and Kyra eats in the living room. If she were to watch him eating pinks, do you think it would encourage her to eat one? I know that works with birds. Whenever I offer a new food to my birds, I give it to all of them and make sure they can see each other. Monkey see, monkey do. Does this work with cats or will Tucker pick up Kyra's kibble addiction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well I answered one of my own questions. I offered them both a half can of wet and a pink in my bedroom. Tucker ate both pinks and then they both ate the canned food. Tucker ate most of his, and Kyra ate about half of hers. Improvement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page