Anybody feed WHOLE PREY? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Anybody feed WHOLE PREY?

I realized for all my asking questions and beginning it with my kitties, I don't think I have spoken with anybody who actually does feed only whole prey.

What sorts of prey items do you use? So far I have given Tucker pinkies(he is up to four a day with his wet food. YAY). Kyra won't touch the stuff yet but I'll get her yet. lol

The next step with Tucker will be fuzzies, still small, but they have fur so he will realize that things with fur are food. I went and bought seven mice the other day, as I am going to be raising most of the cats' food myself. I'll probably have to order more frozen long before my mouse colony is big enough to support the snake and two cats.

I plan on raising meat rabbits both for myself and the animals as soon as I move into a place with a yard. I also have a pair of gerbils, but they have yet to do the deed. I fully intend to vary the prey items as much as possible with insects, mammals, lizards, birds, and the occasional fish as a treat only.

The only information I have gotten is on Frankenprey sites, stating whole prey is the best and easiest, and people on here saying the same, that they do frankenprey but whole is better.

Does anybody feed in this method? I would love some first hand experience, and know of at least one other member here that is thinking of whole prey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Senior Cat

We do some whole prey, along with franken prey.

I personally think a whole prey mixed with franken prey diet is the best. I just don't think it would be cost effective OR easy to properly get variety into a whole prey only diet.

We use bugs, mice, rats, ASFs, quail and baby rabbits.

The frankenprey portion includes: frog, venison, pig, chicken, turkey, duck, cow, lamb, emu, rabbit, squirrel, fish. I think that covers everythng they've had.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Where do you get your ASF and baby rabbits? Do you raise anything or just order it frozen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Cat

Baby rabbits I get from a rabbit breeder who saves any kits who die for us. The ASF's I get from the same supplier as my mice/rats. I raise nothing myself, I live in a small apartment - and I have no time to do the care they require. I also don't think I could kill the critters effectively and humanely (my suppliers use CO2).

We do, however, go to local farmers markets and get whole adult rabbits live and butcher those ourselves.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Interesting. I need to see if my frozen supplier carries ASFs. I have always been interested in them, as a pet as well! Maybe I could find a local breeder.

As for the euthing method, I really do need to look more into it. I have heard that putting pinks in the freezer is one of the more humane methods, but I don't know how that sits with me. I may have gotten ahead of myself, getting the animals before looking into how to put them down. I have heard CO2 takes a while and is uncomfortable for them, I wonder if it is possible to dispatch them with the same manner as the meat rabbits-cervical dislocation?

Hmm, all good things to look up. Thanks, Kelly!

EDIT: How old/what size bunnies do you feed? I know they are born tiny and naked, and then grow REALLY fast.

Last edited by Pixall; 01-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Senior Cat

The baby bunnies are usually days old.

My supplier used CO2 on the pinks first, then froze. Sadly, it's very hard to CO2 pinks. Every other size, however, is easier. I personally helped do this, and honestly, it's not that awful. They just get sleepy because of the lack of oxygen. I mean, sure c/d is "faster" IF you do it correctly... and on tiny animals - it is EXTREMELY easy to screw it up and cause major pain. *shudder*

Kelly

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I just made a post on craigslist farm + garden section looking for culls and failure to thrive baby chicks and meat rabbits. Hopefully I will get a few takers on that.

I think I would prefer to just order pinks. I don't want to freeze any animal that is still alive, the formation of ice crystals on tissue cannot be pleasant. Ill only raise adults for my guys.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Cat

I used to breed asf (African Soft fur rats). I got a trio at a reptile show. They multiple very quickly and in a month I had over a hundred! I only had one snake to feed at that time and after selling some, I eventually sold them/gave them away.

Personally I did not find them to make very good pets. Even handling them everyday from birth they quickly became stand offish. They are not really domesticated, I guess. They are cute and come in some cool colorations. It was always neat to see what came out.

I considered starting another rodent colony of some type but right now, I don't have the motivation to do all that work again.

Let us know how your endeavor pans out. Growing your own food has always interested me, I'm just a lazy bum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page