Seriously GROSS!!!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Seriously GROSS!!!!!!!

For some reason, Lucy decided she was going to throw up her freshly eaten raw supper tonight. She was on my lap, jumped down quickly, and within 5 seconds I heard her throwing up. She doesn't just stay in one spot, she barfs in one spot, walks forward, barfs again, and then backs up to hit another spot. It's always on the carpet.......heaven forbid she hits the tile! This is the worst one though, I don't know what made her sick either, it wasn't a hairball.

For me, raw is the worst to clean up, it sticks to everything! Anyone have any good tricks for cleaning up a seriously GROSS, and rather large barf spot(s)? I picked up what I could with dry papertowel, and then scrubbed with water and Dawn soap.

Anyone have a carpet scrubber that they can recommend, that really works? I'm gonna need to get something for this carpet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Banned

Any time I have to clean up any cat mess that came out of either end I first put a plastic grocery bag over my hand and then grab some paper towels.
I scoop up as much of the mess as I can and then turn the plastic bag inside out tie shut then toss it the garbage can outside, repeat until you got the worst of it removed then go after it with the carpet spot cleaner.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Kitten

miracle's ... something. I can't remember what it's specifically called but it says "miracle" in it. It has enzymes that help clean up urine, so I bet it's really good with vomit too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Cat Addict

Once the major yuck is picked up, I like a couple of different products.

Oxyclean carpet spray (peroxide based) is good for acrylic or synthetic carpet, it's foamy and cleans up stains well. Of course, Nature's Miracle or similar spray is good for odor, I also like the spray called SCOE 10X ("Super Concentrated Odor Eliminator") we found it at the hardware store near the dish detergents, natural cleaners, etc.

If Gracie barfs on one of the good wool rugs I use lukewarm water, a little Murphy's Oil soap since it is very mild, and piles of clean towels to let the spot air out from underneath as well as from above.

(This topic makes me think of our first kitty, Nikki. She was a senior rescue CRF kitty, and in her last few months of life she did a lot of midnight hurling. Hubby and I got really practiced at flinging ourselves out of bed - from a dead sleep - as soon as we heard the "huk huk" sound...)

Fran
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Cat Addict

Were you feeding organ meat or small chunks of meat without bone? I ask because many times cats eat the raw too quickly, basically they swallow without chewing. They do this when they are new to it and then up it comes!

If that's the case, you can try giving the cat larger chunks of meat so she will be forced to chew, tear, and rip, or something with bone appropriate to her jaw strength, which will definitely slow her down.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Cool Cat

For my messes, I pick up most of it with a paper towel, then use the Bissell Spot Bot with vinager in it instead of water. Turn it on 'auto' and let it do it's work (takes about 6 minutes for 1 full clean, and you're not supposed to do more than 4 cleans at a time...let it rest at least 1/2 hour if you need to do more)

I have gotten permission from my dad to just re-do the floor of the basement in vinyl tile, so it'll be MUCH easier to clean up! Now I just gotta save up $1,000 for it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for the tips so far, it's appreciated. I've considered getting one of the Bissel Spot machines.......they work good? She doesn't barf often, but when she does, it's a good one! She walks backwards as she's barfing, so it's a long streak, and she had eaten 2 whole medalians so it was pretty messy! Ewww!

I actually feed ground, it works for us here, so it wasn't pieces. I think that would have actually been much easier to clean up! But, she is a fast eater, so that could have been it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
miracle's ... something. I can't remember what it's specifically called but it says "miracle" in it. It has enzymes that help clean up urine, so I bet it's really good with vomit too.
I think you might mean Nature's Miracle (this)? I use it on my carpets and it works ..like a miracle. No really, it does. Available even at the grocery store.

Christine
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Cool Cat

Yup, it works wonderfully!

That's the reason I mentioned the not running it more than a few times at once. I put it at the beginning of the trail, let it clean a section, then move it to the next section of the trail. Usually 4 times is plenty, even for trails when Xanthe continues scooting back the whole time, rather than pausing at each heave like Paizly does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page