Nutritional need beside raw meat diet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Nutritional need beside raw meat diet?

I like switched my cat to raw diet after encountering advocacy from several medical sources .

She feel happier and had sharper fangs to me. Do cats need anything else?

Anyone else feed raw diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question how to get cat to eat healthy supplements?

I like got from some vet sources that stuff such as mushroom, pumpkins and so on were good for cat. But the problem is how do you get them to get them. My cat have only been receptive to raw meat and some biting on bones.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Cat Addict

As long as you're feeding a well balanced raw diet...no.

Tell us a bit more about what exactly you're feeding and how often so we can help you figure out if you're on the right track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

raw chicken and chicken bones. i found the bones cracked open somewhat so i take it she been biting them, but this hasn't been consistent though perhaps. some days the bones outside the bowl and other days inside.

i can't really tell whether she bit the bones or not if they inside. but i been leaving a few bones with her anyways like 2-3 days a week . but she hasn't really eaten the bones so far i think. are cats suppose to eat the bones or just biting's good enough?

what to make of this?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Cat Addict

Ok, what you are doing isn't a raw food diet.

It sounds like your kitty is chomping down chunks of meat like a pro, so with a few crucial changes you'll be on the right path.

I feed what's called a franken-prey model; you could also do prey-model raw. There are challenges to both options.

Franken-prey follows these general guidelines:
80% meat - muscle meats like we would eat, but also includes heart, and tongue. preferably in chunks and not ground.
10% edible bone - if she's trying to chew the bone you're half-way there on this one. You just need to feed bones that are appropriate to her size. Chicken ribs, necks, and wings, pork riblets, quail, cornish game hen bones, ect. The size of the bones you're offering needs to come down far enough that she can safely chew them.
5% liver - this is extremely important. The actual amount ends up being one chicken liver, or so per week, but it's crucial!
5% other organ - kidney, liver, pancreas, ect. An organ that secrets.

The other big change you need to make is to feed her animals other than chicken. A large part of feeding a complete raw food diet is feeding a wide variety of meats. In one month my guys might have: chicken, duck, turkey, pork, beef, moose, elk, fish, alpaca, llama, rabbit, and more. You NEED that sort of variety in order for your cat to get the vitamins and nutrients she needs.

Do some reading around on this sub forum, and you'll get a much better idea of what you need to feed in order for a raw diet to be complete. It feels overwhelming at first, we've all been there, but it is worth it.

No veggies are needed, btw. It just isn't important for cats.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

are you concerned with the regular meat or gmo meat? your profile saids you in canada. here in the US, the assumption is that gmo meat is everywhere unless organic labeled. or you just don't think gmo matters?

Last edited by marie73; 09-04-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: language
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Cat Addict

The way I see it there are a few choices (regardless of where you live...although it is 'worse' as far as prevalence of GMOs if you're in the US):

-Feed 'normal' cat food, which you can be darn sure is not only NOT GMO free, but was in fact made with the cheapest possible ingredients. Even if you feed a good brand, they'll still be in there.

-Feed raw meat, which is at least species appropriate, and make peace with the fact that you, and your pets, are stuck with GMOs.

-Go 'whole hog', so to speak, and hunt (or raise without GMO exposure, which is far from easy no matter where you live) all the meat that you feed to yourself, your family, and your pets.

If I win the lottery I'll move out to the middle of no where, and set up a nice little self-sufficient, as GMO-free as possible, farm. Until then...I'll do the best I can with what I've been given. In this case that means feeding an all raw diet and understanding that both I and my pets can't completely escape GMOs with the way the world is right now.

...and work for change. *shrugs*

That being said, if you have the resources to by whole organic (including guts, head, ect) meat for your cat GO FOR IT! I'd do it if I could.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

actually i been able to source organic chicken and surprisingly it's not really expensive for this product anyways. but yea some organic like 2x price of regular. and yea, a lot of grocers don't even offer organic meat so i get your point there.

i still have one or two more places to check so...

Last edited by ilikecats2013; 09-04-2013 at 06:45 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Cat Addict

I'm concerned about if you're just feeding raw chicken...

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes
^ This is a raw cat food recipe written by a veterinarian. Reading everything else on that page would be beneficial as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

well i do what i can. i deem organic meat safer than dry commercial food which been reported to contain many impurities. and then there the melamine poisoning few years back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page