Nature's Variety: Instinct Raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Nature's Variety: Instinct Raw

Hi everyone! I'm very new here. New to the forums. New to having a cat. And new to raw food diets.

I adopted Moose back in December of last year. I immediately switched him from the Royal Canin crap the SPCA had him eating, and switched over to Evo. Once my bag was done, (I had read more about cat nutrition) I decided to make the switch over to raw.

I originally had him on Pets Go Raw. 1/4lb a day, alternating through chicken, beef, and salmon each month. Moose is about 13lbs, and about a pound over weight. He is a year and a bit, and a rather sedentary cat (indoor only), excluding random burts of energy he will randomly get.

Well, long story short. I'm a student. Between my house fire I had, my hours being cut at work, and trying to afford my tuition, I am broker than broke and had to switch Moose's food to Instinct Raw. I need a low price point raw food. I just don't have the initial funds right now to buy my own grinder, nor do I have access to one, and between work and school, time is very precious too.

Anyways, does any one have any experience with this brand? I've found it to be drier? than the other brand. When I thaw NV:IR there is no meat liquid that comes off the pucks like PGR does. Is it ok to add water and mix it into the pucks? I kind of mash them up into a kind of slurry like texture. He still eats it just fine. Is there something other than water I should be mixing? Perhaps a bit of salmon oil?

I've tried feeding him different ways, 2 oz in the am and 2 oz at night, 3 oz am and 1 oz at night. He seems to prefer (ie; complain less) when just getting all 4 oz in the morning. He has been getting annoying about complaining he's hungry late in the evening, so I've been giving him a very small chicken neck to crunch on every evening. He is getting 4 oz a day of raw food, and a chicken neck every evening. But he still seems so hungry. I haven't slept through the night in months because he is always whining, and I'm not really sure what to do.

Am I not feeding him enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Cat Addict

You don't need a grinder, they're expensive and chunked raw is better anyways.

Check out your local asian (or other ethnic) market, they commonly have cheap cuts of meat you can buy. Look for pork tongue (beef tongue is SUPER expensive...pork is cheap), beef/pork heart, chicken hearts, chicken wings/necks, chicken breasts with the skin and bone, pork/beef stew meat ect. You can usually get your organs there as well.

You want 80% muscle meat (heart, tongue, cuts that we would eat), 10% edible bone (thats where the necks and wings come in. Cornish game hen or quail are good options, as are duck/chicken feet), 5% liver and 5% other organ (kidney, spleen, testicles, brain, ect)

You can usually buy all of that way cheaper than you can buy premade raw, but you'll also have more control of what goes into it. If you buy a bunch of small containers then you won't need to buy bucketloads of little plastic baggies either, again just makes it cheaper
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I do have a friend who hunts. I've asked her to save me any parts she doesn't use herself. I think the hearts are already spoken for. But kidneys and liver I think she will give me. Mostly deer. Sometimes the occasional moose. I know game meat is very rich, so I was thinking just small amounts for a treat from time to time. I also know to freeze it for x amount of time to kill any possible parasites.

I do get freezer burnt mystery meats given to me from time to time which Moose also gets as treats or supplement his food. Since it's just meat, no organs or bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict

Game meat is fine to feed regularly, my guys love it and because its so dark its high in taurine.

You need to freeze it at -20 for 2 weeks to kill the parasites.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Cat

I feed Instinct Raw and really like it. I've thought about making my own raw food but right now this is much easier and I'm very happy with Nature's Variety foods. I feed about half raw and half canned foods of various brands / flavors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page