human grade kangaroo vs pet food grade - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

human grade kangaroo vs pet food grade

This is probably a question for fellow Australians as I'm not sure other countries have roo meat for people, but see what you think anyway.

I started feeding my cat some pet food grade kangaroo mince along with his canned wet food and dry food, just to keep things interesting for him. Now he's totally addicted and won't eat any of his regular canned food. He leaves everything until we give him kangaroo.

So now we're thinking we'll give up on the cans and just give him kangaroo and (good quality) dry food. But we're wondering if the pet grade stuff might not be as healthy as the stuff intended for human consumption. On the other hand, the pet food roo has added taurine and vitamins (the packet says its a complete food).

Any thoughts? Pet food grade, human grade, or neither is good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Premier Cat

Human grade kangaroo??!! Not something I have to deal with here in the USA, but I did try some buffalo cat food and my cats turned up their noses at it!! What does kangaroo taste like? What is the human grade normally used for (steaks?, burgers?)?

Personally I would certainly feed it if they would eat it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Premier Cat

'Pet' grade food allows the sick, dead, dying animals to be added into the cat that humane grade market sales would not allow.

They CAN eat raw human grade (I have NO idea if this is true of 'Roo) as long as it follows the general 'rules' of raw feeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Human grade kangaroo??!! Not something I have to deal with here in the USA, but I did try some buffalo cat food and my cats turned up their noses at it!! What does kangaroo taste like? What is the human grade normally used for (steaks?, burgers?)?

Personally I would certainly feed it if they would eat it.
Kangaroo is actually very tasty and healthy because it is very lean. We use kangaroo pretty much any way you would use beef (steaks, sausages, mince, etc.) It tastes quite gamey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in