Instinct Raw question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Instinct Raw question

When looking into this food I got kind of confused.

Is anyone here feeding this? I was wondering if two medallions a day is enough for an 11 pound cat.

Each medallion is roughly 1 oz of food. On the website it says the food is 65 calorie per ounce... if the medallions are one ounce each, that's only 130 calories daily?!

When you look on the chart of the 3 lbs bags of medallions it says for a cat 11-15 pounds to feed 2-3 medallions daily, since Jasper is closer to 11 than 15 I would except this means only 2. Meanwhile on the Instinct website it suggests more; 3.8 oz daily (translating to almost 4 medallions daily) for an 11 pound cat at average activity level.

If two medallions is enough daily I might just feed Jasper this instead of wet food if he'll take to it -- I did the math and two medallions a day comes out to 25 dollars a month which is exactly the same price as what I'm paying in wet food for him. I didn't see the patties in store (6 lb bags) but I image if I got them it would be a slightly better savings, too.

However if he actually needs 3+ medallions daily that would be closer to 40+ dollars monthly rather than 25... so figuring out if two is enough is a big factor.

Any forum member experiences with Instinct raw? Or are there other premade brands at a comparable price I could look into?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Cat Addict

When I put in an 11 lb cat with average activity into the instinct raw feeding guide for raw, it tells me 3.8 oz.

We have a couple cats at the shelter who eat this food. They eat 2 medallions a day plus about 1/3 cup dry.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks! I didn't think 2 medallions was a good enough amount, the website does say 3.8, but the bag says 2-3 for a cat that's 11-15 pounds -- extremely contradictory info. Three might be ok daily (although too expensive for me) but I can't see many situations where two daily would be good for any cat after reviewing the nutritional contents. The 6-10 pound cats suggest only 1-2 medallions daily on the bag! What cat only eats 65 calories a day?! I do not see any 3-4 pound cats walking around. That the bag advertises so much less than what a cat requires daily seems really bad... I was sort of hoping that two would be enough somehow, but seems like it isn't.

I may still feed some of this with wet, considering it all works out roughly to the same price, but I guess not a total switch over.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 09-20-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Cat Addict

Ya I've bought it and feed some meals... but its likely to be two medallions, a gizzard, and heart or two and a tablespoon of canned for that meal... munch gets two meals a day! Though I think he's finally putting on weight, so I'm going to cut back a touch... right now my 10 lb cat is eating more than my 9 lb and 11lb doxies put together! He's rather expensive lol

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

A good starting point for raw food is 2.5% of body weight for maintenance. So a 10 lb cat would need 1/4 lb or 4 oz. per day.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Senior Cat

I feed Instinct Raw and like it. I feed ~3 medallions per day, per cat on average (4 cats plus fosters), so it's cheaper to get the patties usually. I also feed canned food in the mix.

I really like the Instinct Raw foods and the cats seem to like it (duck is a HUGE hit, venison not as crowd pleasing). I calculated that they should eat about 3-4 medallions per day, especially for my boys, but they don't seem to eat quite that much even if given as much as they want. So far everyone is a good weight and healthy, so I just give as much as they will eat in 2 or 3 meals per day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page