New to raw feeding cats, just a few questions. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New to raw feeding cats, just a few questions.

I have two kittens around six months old, and an older girl that I can't really guess an age on because I don't have enough experience with cats, but she's got that old cat 'droop' around her midsection but a thin back and hips. Still plenty active.

I'd like to start them on raw, I did have my dogs on raw but never a cat so I'm not sure of the differences. I'd prefer to go with prey model for the most part, I can readily get ahold of quail, rabbits, rats, and of course chicken parts, maybe whole unplucked/cleaned chickens if I talk to my farm lady. And all of the organs and other meats I need, and plenty of quail eggs (which I prefer to chicken eggs for the animals because of their concentrated nutrition).

The fish that I readily have access to are all saltwater, Croaker, Spot, Striped Bass.

Mostly I want to know if anyone has a good informational page they can point me to, what prey model animals YOU feed and how you prepare them, if you have a kitty who won't eat prey model, how do you balance out the bone/organ/meats? I know of some people who like to leave fur/feathers intact, is that acceptable?
And any other tips you'd like to give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Senior Cat

cat nutrition - Home
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
Raw Fed Cats

Those are some helpful sites. The first two have recipes for ground meals while the third talks about prey model diets.

The biggest difference from raw fed dogs and raw fed cats from what I hear is that with dogs you have a lot more room to wiggle with when it comes to bone/meat/organ ratio. Cats are much more sensitive to food changes that dogs tend to be. Cats are obligate carnivore's which means they only need animal matter to survive (meat, bones, organs), anything else is unnecessary.

I don't feed raw, but I've been researching it on and off for a bit, but it looks like everything you've got so far is good. Most people feed a similar variety of meat, which varies depending on what's available to people.

As for fish, I'd avoid those except for maybe the occasional treat. The higher mercury concentration in fish can lead to crystal's and UTI's in cats.

And it's exceptable to leave fur and feathers intact, especially if you feed whole rats and young quail, which people often do. I mean, there's no nutritional value, but it's not detrimental either!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Cat Addict

Ditto the above for the most part.

The biggest difference between feeding cats and dogs with raw is that cats need less bone than typically recommended. A usual franken-prey model diet suggests 80% muscle, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organ...dogs sometimes need a higher level of bone than 10%, but cats very rarely need the full 10% and commonly have issues with constipation at that level.

If you're feeding prey model though you don't really need to worry about that too much...like at all, lol.

Jakiepoo is right about the fish though. If you want to feed fish occasionally (twice a month max, IMO...although it's hard to find any sort of actual recommendation on any official websites.) you should pick small fish and ideally fresh water is best. My guys get fish when we eat fish...aka almost never, lol. It's expensive to get fish in landlocked Alberta! I typically buy whatever fish I get on sale and with the head. I cut the fish down to serving sizes, and the kitties get the extra for their meal. Maybe once a month if they're lucky.

I have tried to get mine started on prey model, but they aren't interested. Jitzu will eat pinkies and fuzzies, but nothing else. The boys and Torri will only eat something like rabbit if I butcher it first. No fur for sure! I've bought whole piglets before, and gutted it then chopped it all up myself, and they'll eat that, but they won't break it down themselves.

I wish I could get them to do it, but it's much more expensive than what I currently feed, so I haven't tried super hard TBH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you guys!

Well, one of the kittens thinks raw meat is icky, he'll eat tiny bite-sized pieces but would rather not. lol The other one thinks it's the best thing in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page