Some of my questions about raw feeding so far - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Some of my questions about raw feeding so far

So I'd like to feed my kittens a raw diet, & have been poking around here doing some reading. I raise mice as a hobby, & while I don't have enough to facilitate feeding them to my girls often, it sounds like that isn't a big deal since it sounds like variance is key. Even though I'm still reading up on the info, I did come across how starting them young is important. So today I gave them their first (F/T) mouse. I've also been giving them large, raw chicken chunks about once a week to make sure they will still eat whatever I figure for them

From what I've found around here, one of my adult mice would be considered a meal, yes? (50 grams+, dead but otherwise healthy mice)

I think I'd like to do the prey model, & have seen mention to rodentpro & haretoday, & that they have exorbitant shipping charges. Before I punch in my card information, can anyone tell me about how crazy these charges are?

If I feed them F/T prey & not so much of the "frankenstien" diet, will I still need to get vitamens & supplements?

What I have readily available to me (besides mice), is the usual store items, chicken, beef liver, eggs. Deer hunting season is coming up, which means lots & lots of meat/tendons/gutsy stuff. Since these deer would be wild, do I need to worry about parasite transmission, & what are the steps I can take to avoid it?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Cat Addict

Well, I'm not an expert, but if you feed a variety following the 80-10-5-5 rule, with 4 or more different types of protein, you shouldn't need to supplement. I feed about a third raw and the rest canned or freeze dried, so I dont supplement at all.

As far as feeding game, freeze it for a couple of weeks to kill any parasites and don't feed the brains, and you'll be good to go.

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Tom Cat

If you are in southern wisconsin, I know there is a raw supplier that does trips to warehouses, so you pay minimum shipping if you pick it up from one of those locations. I'll ask my local supplier about them on Monday, since I know that is where they get the quail, day old bunnies, and chickens from!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the input so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Catlady View Post
If you are in southern wisconsin, I know there is a raw supplier that does trips to warehouses, so you pay minimum shipping if you pick it up from one of those locations. I'll ask my local supplier about them on Monday, since I know that is where they get the quail, day old bunnies, and chickens from!
Did you find out any info?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Tom Cat

Sorry, forgot to check today, but I have to head over tomorrow, so I set up a reminder

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Just wanted to update that while Potato loves eating mice, Zeppelin only loves to play with them. But they both adore the chicken chunks, so I will continue to explore other foods as able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page