Cat hasn't pooped for almost 4 days on raw diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat hasn't pooped for almost 4 days on raw diet

Hello CatForum!

I have been feeding my cat a raw diet from catinfo.org specifically the chicken recipe and following the instructions 100%.

The question I have is my cat is only pooping every 4 days and the amount of waste is very small. She doesn't show any signs of constipation and does her business in her litterbox with ease. She is eating, playing, and drinking water as normal also. she urinates at least once a day or more.

Should I start worrying or just correlate this to being on a awesome raw diet?

Also a little bit of info on my kitten. She is a about 4.5 months old and is a Pixie-Bob from LegendTales cattery in Washington.

Thanks for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Cat

I'd say it makes sense that the poops are small as she is digesting a lot of food and therefore there is little waste. With commercial pet foods, lots contain ingredients that cats don't need and can't digest so it comes out in poop form. I did notice that when I switched Tinker from the rubbish he came to be on, to a much better diet, his poops decreased in size, smell and he only goes once a day.

I think that they should go once a day or once every other day but I don't have any experience in just feeding raw, mine all get a mix.

I'm not sure if once every 4 days is normal so I'm hoping someone else with more knowledge will be able to help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Senior Cat

Hi Mark_R.

I am a recent convert to Raw as well - or rather, my kitteh crew are! I'm using Ann Jablowski's (she references Lisa Pierson) very excellent recipe. My guys are doing well on Raw and they definitely poo a lot less. They've gone from 'going' 2-3 x per day to once every 1-2 days and their stool is about 1/3 the size it used to be.

Going every four days does seem to be quite a gap between BMs but if she is comfortable and isn't straining then I'd just sit on the fence for a bit and wait and see.
What colour is her stool? If it is a light tan or whitish, she's getting too much bone and that could be a factor.

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I am very happy with the recipe also. when I got her a few months ago I was feeding her commercial raw and was just not happy with all the added fluff she really didn't need. I went and bought a a meat grinder and now make my own following the recipe to the "T".

Her poops are very formed and one long piece usually (sorry it's gross) and it's a good dark brown like coffee colored. A little tiny bit of slime on it (gross again) also.

She is in no discomfort at all and is acting like a crazy kitten should. Her stomach area doesn't feel bloated and she pee's regularly so you may be right just sitting on the fence to see what happens.

Last edited by marie73; 10-19-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: rq
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Senior Cat

Oh poo discussions are de rigueur here on the CF so don't worry about it hehe.

Her poo sounds perfect so I'd not worry. Just enjoy the lack of poo to clean up!

Jen - owned by ...

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page