Taking the plunge to raw... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Taking the plunge to raw...

I have toyed unsuccessfully with transitioning my 5 indoor cats to a substantially healthier diet over the year. I'm really sick and tired of tossing half eaten bowls of canned food and constantly buying stuff they don't like. It seems they are winning the Fancy Feast fight and I refuse to give in. I've tried every brand and flavor of canned cat food under the sun. I came across Catinfo.org and have been soaking up the raw food diet section. I know many here swear by it. I bit the bullet and purchased a meat grinder that was recommended; capable of grinding chicken bones and some supplements to add to the meat.

Cross your paws for me!! I'm really, really hoping this works and they like it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Tom Cat

Ahh! So excited for you!!! Also keep us posted about how your grinder works! I would like to make up a bunch of that recipe to keep in the freezer for pet sitters! Much less scarring to feed than a day old bunny...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Cat

Welcome to the club Marcia. We've been Raw for around 3 months now. The transition took a month or so before that. I started off with simply adding about 1 tsp of minced beef into their Whiskas pouches and slowly increased the ratio of raw to processed.
I've now got a grinder and am using Ann Jablonski's whose recipe very similar to Lisa's. This is Ann's website if you want to have a look.
cat nutrition - Home
I use Ann's recipe as she makes provision for using whole chickens which is more economical over here than using thighs.
since changing to Raw my IBD girl Lisbeth ahs had NO episodes of colitis. She still goes right off her food periodically (not something new) and I have to go back to feeding her plain minced chicken wings (her FAV!) then do a(nother) mini transition back to the full Raw mix but on the whole she's pretty good!
Coco - my fatty, is slowly but steadily losing weight on Raw, she's not hungry and doesn't beg for food. She had been on diet food (dry) for years and years and just kept piling the weight on. It as SO frustrating!
Like you, I got sick of trying new foods, having to throw stuff out and having manage cats on multiple diets - it just about drove me crazy. Now, I control their weight by making slight adjustments to their portions. SO much easier.

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Cat Addict

Before you use the meat grinder I'd recommend returning it!

I know the general direction you're hoping for is raw, but it'd be best to start out small with just some uncooked chicken breast meat cubes, throwing in a little liver, etc. and see how they do. There is no point in a meat grinder, which is designed to make large raw batches, if your cats aren't going to take to it.

And be prepared to throw out a lot of raw... switching over isn't easy. And if a cat doesn't eat it all in a day, it's also tossed.

You'll likely be mixing in a lot of Fancy Feast with the chicken breast to start with... it'll have to be extremely gradual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Cat Addict

I hope it works out for you and your kitties!!

I know it can get frustrating with the food, I've got one finiky cat that is so bad, it's driven me mad for years! The older she gets, the worse she gets.
I know you have older kitties, mostly, and it is probably going to be more of a challenge because of their age. I don't need to tell you how those older kitties get so set in their ways.
I will keep my 'paws' crossed for you. Keep us updated on how it goes

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Before you use the meat grinder I'd recommend returning it!

I know the general direction you're hoping for is raw, but it'd be best to start out small with just some uncooked chicken breast meat cubes, throwing in a little liver, etc. and see how they do. There is no point in a meat grinder, which is designed to make large raw batches, if your cats aren't going to take to it.

And be prepared to throw out a lot of raw... switching over isn't easy. And if a cat doesn't eat it all in a day, it's also tossed.

You'll likely be mixing in a lot of Fancy Feast with the chicken breast to start with... it'll have to be extremely gradual.
Thanks for the advice - but I was planning on the grinder anyways. 3 out of 5 of the cats won't eat chunks of anything - even cooked chicken I occasional offer. I don't mind grinding it since I was doing it with my cooked turkey anyways. It won't go unused.

I think if I make it in small batches then freeze it, using a bag every 2-3 days it will be ok - remember I have 5 cats. I've offered raw in the past in small doses as I've been cooking something (turkey burgers, etc), and they seem to take to it. I've just never really committed to doing it on a larger scale before now. I'll post the good and the bad of this experience as we go along!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
You never have to throw out raw if you also have a dog ... because dogs will eat ANYTHING!

I have a grinder, but I don't use it. I just cut meat, organs, and edible bones into chunks; measure them into appropriate proportions; and let the animals go at them. For the older cats who don't have many teeth, I cut bite-sized pieces of meat, and I smash chicken neck pieces with a hammer.

Laurie
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Cool Cat

Yay!! Hope it helps you
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Senior Cat

Good luck, Marcia

I hope you share your experience with the rest of us, both the good bits and not-so-good bits. I currently feed both of my cats chunks of raw chicken 4 times a week. They love it, but this is only a supplementary meal to their standard canned and kibble diet. A small voice in the back of my mind has been wondering if I too should consider further transitioning their diet to raw. I'm already quasi-used to prepping the meat, making large batches and freezing it in portions. But it's a long road, involving a lot of work (from where I stand), and a lot of trial and error as well.

Caretaker of two black cats

Last edited by tezster; 10-24-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added remark
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
You never have to throw out raw if you also have a dog ... because dogs will eat ANYTHING!
Hah! Tell that to my dogs! They are fussy with every kind of food there is. Right now Coco is only eating Wild Calling, Pheasant and Buffalo versions. Sometimes I try and spice things up with a different brand, like EVO, Innova, Natural Balance, California Natural, Merrick, Canidae, First Mate (Oh wow did she ever hate it!) ... and she just looks at her food sadly and takes ~4 or more days to eat it when it should only take 2. She used to like some of them but no longer. Same with her Orijen kibble... I give her the kibble and she looks at me like I'm forcing her to eat it. Way worse than my cats. She has no interest in raw when I feed it to Jasper.

Good luck with things Marcia! I'm glad the grinder was something you already had wanted to buy because I was worried it'd be a total waste. Those things are expensive!

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 10-24-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page