8 Week Kitten to raw diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

8 Week Kitten to raw diet

Hi everyone,
I recently made a post in the introduce yourself area. I was feeding her Fancy Feast (chicken, lowest carb one they had in Petco I was in a rush) and it is now almost gone. There's only one and a half cans left. So I went to a little pet supply store called Pet Food Express. I believe these stores are only found in the San Francisco Bay Area. Anyways I picked up a few sample sized pouches of Stella and Chewy's and Instinct Raw Bites (chicken). The wonderful lady there gave me the trial size version of the Instinct Raw Bites for free. I mixed a dab of Fancy feast with Stella and Chewy's and the kitten ate it up really fast. She licked the plate clean and wouldn't stop licking her face. Anyways I'm hoping she'll like the Instinct Raw bites that I'll try later in the week.

So my question is should I stick with the freeze dried or go for the raw bites? The pricing isn't too bad since at Pet Food Express they have a deal where you buy 3 kinds of the food and you get the fourth for free. For example if I bought 3 bags of Instinct Raw Bites, I would get the fourth for free which cuts down on the food costs.

And the second question is when can I start feeding my cat chicken necks? They're more for dental health than anything else. Thanks

TL;DR: Freeze dried or Instinct Raw Bites? When can my 8 week kitten start eating chicken necks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Cat

I really like the Instinct Raw (never fed the bites, but it is the same formula as the rest, just a different shape!). I am not sure if you are re-hydrating the freeze dried, but if not, the Instinct is hands down going to be the better option. It also might be more compatible with the feeding of chicken necks (you want things that digest quickly, not sit in the stomach for a long time).

You could also do a mix of the Raw and Freeze dried, though I personally would only consider that if the freeze dried has water added to it. Consider also that the Instinct has some veggies in it, which are not needed for cats. If the freeze dried is purely meat, it might actually be the healthier option.

Lastly, I think the bison formula of the Instinct is not considered a complete diet for cats, so either mix that one with another complete diet, or avoid it.

Edit: Oh, and your kitty can start eating chicken necks whenever you want really. Just look out for constipation, and nothing without water or with grains should be fed with them (No kibble, grain heavy canned, etc). They also should not make up a large amount of the diet. Maybe once a week.

Last edited by Kytkattin; 11-04-2013 at 09:47 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
I started two kittens I rescued a few years ago on raw prey model at about the same age as yours. When I introduced chicken necks, which actually have much larger and harder bones than natural prey, I smashed the necks thoroughly with a hammer. I continued to feed the necks smashed until the kits had all of their adult teeth, at which time the kits started to refuse to eat them. Turned out, they no longer wanted to eat smashed bones. They wanted to eat bones they could crunch. So instead of smashing necks, I starting feeding each kit 1/4 of a chicken neck daily ... without smashing.

I will caution you not to feed too much edible bone - smashed, ground, or whole. Too much bone can be seriously constipating. I find that my each of my cats can handle 1/4 of a smallish chicken neck daily. If the necks are large, I cut them into fifths instead of quarters. Once every week or two, I leave edible bone out of their raw meal to give their GI tracts the opportunity to process any excess bone they may have accumulated. This helps avoid the constipation that even small amounts of daily bone can sometimes cause.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I see, thanks for the responses. I'm using the freeze dried raw to help transition out of Fancy Feast and into the Instinct Raw medallions/bites. She won't eat the Stella and Chewy's with as much vigor as the Fancy Feast (Fancy Feast is very... aromatic).
I think I'll start the chicken necks when she's used to eating the Instinct Raw.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
With young kittens, you really don't need to transition through freeze dried. Kittens are hard-wired to eat unprocessed raw meat. Freeze dried is less likely to appeal to them than unprocessed raw meat. I'm not familiar with Instinct Raw Bites, but if they're just pieces of unprocessed raw meat, your kits will likely gobble them up greedily.

Laurie
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I tried just the raw bites today and she seemed pretty confused. So I sprinkled some of the freeze dried on there and she gobbled it up. I was just worried that she wouldn't take to raw immediately because she was eating fancy feast and that stuff is POTENT.

Last edited by marie73; 11-06-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: rq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page