Drinking water - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Drinking water

Sasha is raw fed almost totally whole prey. She always has fresh drinking water available but we've never seen her drink. I know that raw fed cuts require less water but could it be she really doesn't need any? It could be she is drinking when we're not looking but the water level doesn't go down much if she is.
Is there a way to encourage her to drink? She has an aversion to running water so that won't work.
She voids well so maybe I'm worried for nothing but still feedback would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Cat

Keep fresh water available in a quiet, out of the way place, but also don't worry about not seeing her drink. I haven't seen Midas drink since we switched. I have dogs that he shares bowls with, so I wouldn't know if he was drinking unless I saw him. Unless she has some sort of illness, I don't think there is cause for concern.
Does she look otherwise healthy? No sunken eyes or anything?
There are ways to check for dehydration in cats: the first is the skin test, where you gently pull the skin on the back of the neck up as if you were scruffing (though no lifting is happening!). Watch how quickly the skin lies flat again. Hydrated cats should have skin that flattens quickly, whereas dehydrated cats will have skin that takes longer to go flat.
The second, a little more invasive, though no more than brushing their teeth, involves lifting your cat's upper lip, and then pressing your finger flat against the gums. When you remove your finger there should be a white spot. In normal cats, the gum will recolor in 1-2 seconds. Dehydrated cats will take longer. Looking at the gums is good point for checking overall health anyway!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She looks at acts super happy. Thank you for the skin test. I did it and she passed with flying colors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page