A few questions I have with raw for my kits - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

A few questions I have with raw for my kits

I just got three kits and they'd been eating what their former owner literally called "the cheap stuff" all their life (which is three months, by the way) and for their first two meals, I gave them tuna (a can around one inch tall and three inches in diameter to share), and the next two meals I gave them raw eggs. I feed them three times a day. Once in the morning (around 8am) once in the afternoon (around 3pm) and once at night (time varies). I do this because I heard with kittens, until they get older, they're supposed to eat 3-4 small meals a day.
I've also given them walleye (found it in the back of the freezer. It said it was a year old, Dad said it was still good but a bit freezer-burnt, so we gave it to them and they went rather psycho over it) and bite-size pieces of chicken. Also, they took to raw immediately, no hesitation.

Questions:
*In the first couple days, they threw up (I wasn't there, but it seemed to be once after tuna and twice after eggs). It hasn't happened since but I want to know is it normal for that to happen after switching to raw? My dad says that the food was probably a lot more rich than they're used to, like eating fast food all your life and then eating steak for the first time.
*Is the one can of tuna I mentioned above big enough for a meal for the three of them to share? And how many eggs is good for a meal for the three of them? They always act like they've never seen food before when I bring it for them, so I worry the meals I bring are TOO small. I don't know if they're just being dramatic or what.
*Is there anything I seem to be doing wrong that I don't realize? Totally new to kit motherhood and raw feeding (though I've done my research) so I could use some feedback.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Tom Cat

If all you are feeding is canned tuna, raw fish, and eggs, no wonder they are sick. Those are not anything close to nutritionally complete. I would immediately switch them to a quality canned while you do some more research. Start at catinfo.org and read her nutrition page. You can also get some suggestions on quality canned food on there. Raw needs to be a specific balance of muscle meat, raw soft bones, liver, and other organs. And honesty, I would never feed canned tuna as a meal. The metals accumulated in tuna are harmful, and therefore should only be a very very rare treat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Tom Cat

Also, how old are they? Young kittens should be eating as much as they want. My one kitten was eating up to 10 oz of food a day for several months, but it depends on the individual

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

They are three months and I have had them for a week.

I read on rawfedcats.org that I should start with things like I've chosen, and to later add the things like bones and organs. So I should definetely add bones and organs right away?

Eventually I'm thinking of feeding them mice, we might try soon because we own two snakes and get mice for them in Minneapolis, where they raise feeding mice, we'll probably get some for the kits while we're there but eventually since we have five rodent-eaters now, we might raise our own feeder mice. What are your thoughts/suggestions on mice? I'm aware that the mice may/may not need to be fed differently for the cats than for the snakes because of possible different nutritional needs for their predators?...

Also I'd heard that tuna wasn't a good idea because of possible mercury, but I wasn't sure how true that was, considering the site said never to feed your cat raw meat or raw eggs too. I've only fed it to them twice so far, so I'll limit it from now on, thanks.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Cat Addict

Raw eggs should only be fed as a treat, like sauce on a regular meal twice a month. Tge egg whites can cause a vitamin deficiency if fed more often and yolks will give tgem indigestion.

Canned tuna is not raw and should never be fed as a meal. Little bites can be given as treats, but that's it.

Feeding raw meand raw meat. Chicken, beef, turkey, pork, ect. Start with bones and organ right away, but neither of those can be an entire meal. If you want to feed chunks you could feed them chicken breasts chunked, with the bone in. Chicken necks are good, but high in bone.

You're aiming for 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver (that's a peice the size of a quarter once a week, roughly), 5% other organ.

I think you need to do quite a bit more research, tbh.

Whole mice would be two meals for each kitten, and if you want to feed mice you shoukd start now.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Premier Cat

We have a couple threads of raw feeding going on at the forum but I will duplicate what I wrote on the other one. I just switched to raw and 3 out of my 5 cats LOVE it. Two took a couple weeks to get used to it, but now gobble it up. Here is the modified recipe from Catinfo.org. I sprinkle Fortiflora or fresh parmesan on top and they love it - plus I've not had any instances of vomiting:

Raw Cat Food Recipe *

1 cup warm, NOT hot water
2 eggs – use the yolk raw
2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon food grade bone meal
5000mg fish oil
400 IU (268mg) Vitamin E
3000mg Taurine – 1000 mg more if freezing for more than a month
50mg Vitamin B-Complex
tsp Morton salt with iodine - 3/4 tsp if using lite
3 lbs poultry – thigh meat with skins
4 oz chicken livers

Mix all ingredients except meat, making sure all the caplets and oils tabs are dissolved.
Grind meat and add to wet mixture. Freeze until ready to use.

Recipe from http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#The_Recipe

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Cat Addict

As it stands, the cheap stuff they were getting before was better for them... just feeding straight meat or raw eggs is not how raw works and will make their diet unbalanced and they can suffer sever consequences (one being blindness due to lack of taurine). If only it was that simple... but it is actually pretty complicated.

Once meat is frozen/cooked it loses a lot of its vitamins and minerals, some of which cats are unable to make on their own so they require it directly from their food. That's why all pet foods, no matter how poor the ingredients are, are still formulated with the correct amount of vitamins and minerals added back to the food after its processing.

A small kitten should eat as much as they want, they have an incredible appetite because they're growing. Lacking proper mutation at this stage is not good, I would stick to high quality wet food mixed with some raw - not previously frozen - meat until they're a little older.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Cat Addict

... nutrition. Let's not have any mutations.

Along with the dogs
and
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
Canned tuna is not raw and should never be fed as a meal. Little bites can be given as treats, but that's it.

You're aiming for 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver (that's a peice the size of a quarter once a week, roughly), 5% other organ.
I really wanted to stress those two things.

This isn't a guessing game... there is a science to how cats have evolved and what makes them carnivores is not processed, heavily salted tuna that's high in mercury. In fact fish is bad for cats in general.Cats need a diet mentioned in the above ratios. They need organs and bones in their diet if they are to eat raw, they require the essential vitamins and mineral from them. You must be careful though, because too much or too little and they will have an unbalanced diet.

Feeding mice is quite labour intensive; I once had a lot of mice -- not for feeding. It got crazy and expensive to keep them. In order to keep them humanely you must separate the pregnant mother's from the other mice. You must also consider how they are to be killed -- I seriously hope you don't plan on dropping them live mice. I really don't think you've thought this through.

You need to put a lot more research into this. Until then please stick to pet store brand foods.

Along with the dogs
and
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Ok---doing a lot more research, just got back from the grocery store with a lot of this stuff you guys are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page