Me vs frozen quail: the quail are winning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Me vs frozen quail: the quail are winning

So I've gotten myself into a predicament, and I could use some advice on how to get out of it. It is mildly amusing how I got into this pickle... every step I took seemed quite logical. And yet the end result is a mess. (Life seems to go like that a lot... one would think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm not).

So we've been doing the raw thing for a few months now, and it is going well; everyone is well past the puking stage. We have three cats. Two (L and F) are siblings, ten years old and have lost some teeth due to lesions; some of their remaining teeth are weak. The third cat, G, is 16 years old and her teeth are mostly there, but dirty. We've been wanting to start our cats on large chunks of meat with small bones in the hope of improving their dental health (we've tried a lot of other things to improve their dental health, few of which seem to make any difference, but I digress...).

I read a lot about this on the various pro-raw vet site and ran across the idea that, especially with pets with compromosed or missing teeth, use caution in introducing meat with bone. Instinct will usually tell them what to do with the stuff, but they will need some practice to get the hang of it. I also ran across the idea that chicken necks and wings are a bit big to to be species-appropriate for cats. If my cats were younger and their teeth were in good shape, I would probably have tried chicken wings anyway, since it seems to be working out okay for most people who are doing it (and they resemble the vet's fingers, which one of my cats likes to bite)... but I decided not to risk it with my existing set of cats. Quail seemed like a safer choice. But I didn't just want to go out and buy a quail at a grocery store. I wanted some place with a solid reputation for good food handling practices. So... I went to a reputable raw food source online to order quail. They have a minimum order of 20lbs. So that is what I ordered.

So now I have 20 pounds of frozen raw quail in my freezer. The problem: I am finding these frozen dead birds quite unmanageable. They are stuck together in solid lumps of 4 quail each. If I thaw them before I cut them up, they will spoil before my cats get around to eating them, and they can't be refrozen. So I want to separate them and cut them into smaller pieces while they are frozen, to get my pets started, but, even with a hacksaw, it is really hard to cut the stuff up. I think for starters I need a bigger hacksaw...

Please... I need tips. How do I deal with this? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict

Why can't you partially thaw then refreeze? I do it all the time. Take the whole lump out, thaw in the fridge. As the outside birds get soft enough, rip them off, bag them seperately, and throw back in the freezer. They will still be mostly frozen, just not quite as hard.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you. That sounds like a very useful idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Kitten

I agree with that, and maybe the bigger hacksaw too?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Premier Cat

I wonder if you could take it to a butcher shop and have then cut the whole frozen block into manageable pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page