Taurine help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Taurine help

Good day all,

I have been reading more about lack of taurine in cats and was hoping to research a supplement for my cat. See, i learnt that in a ground diet (i do frankenprey) that taurine amount is significantly dissipated. And in a frankenprey diet, while its taurine content remains higher, it may be dissipated with freezing (though by how much is not known).

Im basically looking for what you folks might recommend as a supplement for taruine- as an added resource just incase.
I found this, but i am not 100% sure what i am looking for.

By the way, I feed a frankenprey diet, meat, organ, bone, with occaisonal treats of sardine for extra omega.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Premier Cat

I copied this from the Catinfo.org website. Dr. Lisa Pierson wrote this:

"I get fish oil, taurine, vitamin E, and vitamin B-complex from iherb.com or Whole Foods Market but there are numerous sources for these items. If you order from iherb.com, remember to use the code LIS675 for $5 off your first order. "

Just copy and paste the link to iherb. I ordered my taurine from Amazon.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

oh thank you for the lead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Cat Addict

Personally, I just feed meats high in taurine once or twice a week. Heart, tongue, dark meats, ect.

I've talked to my vet about it and she's comfortable with it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Cat

I use this taurine, which is already in powder form (not capsules) so it is super easy to not only add into the mix, I can also add a touch every day in case some of it depletes in the freezer. Nature's Life, Taurine Powder, Unflavored, 335 g - iHerb.com

The more meat you can chunk instead of grind, the more taurine you will preserve in the meat. Obviously you need a cat that will eat chunks, but it has other benefits too, such as for helping to keep teeth clean.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Premier Cat

From Buzzel.com

"Taurine Benefits for Cats
Similar to dogs, taurine deficiency in cats can cause a number of abnormalities, such as retinal degeneration, platelet function abnormalities and dilated cardiomyopathy. So, to avoid these, cats should be fed with taurine rich foods such as raw meat or dry cat foods available in the market, which are a rich source of taurine too. Below are some of the taurine benefits for cats.
Lack of taurine in cats can lead to dysfunctional retinal cells, causing feline central retinal degeneration in them. This may result in blindness or impaired vision in cats. So, taurine is very essential for the development as well as proper functioning of the cells of retina.
Other taurine benefits in cats include making the heart muscles strong, thereby preventing heart failure or other heart diseases in them.
Taurine has many benefits for cats when they are reproducing. Adequate level of taurine in cats during pregnancy, ensures a healthy pregnancy and proper structural growth of the unborn kitten.
Taurine Side Effects in Animals
Generally considered safe for animals, taurine can cause certain side effects in some animals. Taurine supplements should not be given to animals who show an allergic reaction to the same. Taurine may cause toxicity in an occasional animal, especially after an oral dosing. Taurine may also cause drug interactions with certain medications such as cisplatin, paclitaxel, etc. So consuming taurine drugs along with these, should be avoided."
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/taurine-benefits.html

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Premier Cat

Good to know...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oh thanks for the suggestion Kytkattin.

My cat does it chunks but i was hoping to accomplish the same thing as you Kytkattin- add a little bit to compensate for what may be depleting through freezing. Do you have any advice for how much to add/ how often considering we dont really know how much is lost?

I read they need 35 - 250 mg per day- which is so little and on the plus side, whatever their body doesnt use, just gets expelled, so its not toxic.

I think this Taurine thing will devestate a lot of raw food owners when their cats get older because i read over and over that symptoms come on harder in later years.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Cat

Well, I remember reading that someone did tests on mice that were frozen vs fresh, and found that little to no taurine was lost during the freezing process, so the freezing thing does not concern me too much I think. I do wish I had saved where I read that though.
Heat and surface exposure are the true enemies of taurine.

With that being said, even with chunking the meat I kind of just pretend that there is pretty much none left in the food. I don't do that with the other vitamins that might be toxic, but since taurine is safely expelled, I don't worry that he is getting too much, as the consequences of too little are so severe. The product I linked is good for a person for 1 year, at 1000 mg per day. Obviously that is well over what cats need! I add 1/2 a tsp for every 3 lbs of meat mixture, as recommended by catinfo.org. Daily, I add just a pinch to his food, which is probably excessive, but I also worry that some of what I add to the mix depletes for whatever reason.

Consequently, dogs, particularly small dogs like I have, need taurine as well. I feed my cat and dogs the same mixture (I have tweaked the catinfo.org one to be better suited for dogs), so they benefit from the addition of taurine. Without it, they can start to have seizures.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Premier Cat

Got this off the Rawfedcats.org site:

"80% raw boneless meat. This includes primarily muscle meat but can also include things like fat and skin, along with any kind of connective tissue such as tendons, sinew, cartilage etc.
10% raw edible sized meaty bones.
5-10% squishy organ meats, with half that amount being liver.

These approximate proportions can and should be fed over time rather at every meal, and the more variety you can include, the better.
Keep in mind that bone-heavy meals can be binding (causing constipation) while boneless meat, and especially organs, will make for looser stools."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page