Confusion regarding raw diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Confusion regarding raw diet

Hello every one I decided to bring home a persian kitten on my daughter's birthday in jan, I planed this around 6 months back and from that day I have done lot of research on net regarding there care and food and I set my mind for raw food diet with the most common recipe of raw grounded chicken with bones, heart, leavers and all the other supplements but few days back one of my friend told me that she only feed her cats with dry food because raw chicken causes salmonella and it's very dangerous for cats, and my other friend told me that he feed hid cats boiled chicken and no added supplements please help me guys i am very confused hope to get reply soon thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Tom Cat

Just feeding boiled chicken is going to starve the cat of vital nutrients, especially calcium and taurine. If he doesn't switch to something nutritionally complete, the cat will go blind and become ill.

And interestingly enough, dry food almost always has some salmonella present. The way it is processed, it is nearly impossible to eliminate. The recent recalls in dry foods were because the salmonella levels were lethally high, not that they were just present.

I have fed my cats raw for about a year. I do a prey model diet, but the recipe on catinfo.org is a great, widely used ground recipe. I highly encourage it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat

What is prey model diet ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Tom Cat

It's a diet where you model an entire animal by using animal parts. It consists of 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver, and 5% secreting organ, typically kidney. It's a harder diet to follow, since it's important to get the ratios correct and to provide enough animal variety since you don't use supplements as you would in the ground raw recipe on catinfo.org

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

Catinfo.org as several recipes for raw feeding. Pre-ground raw is more apt to have salmonella, but if you grind it yourself at home as needed there is less likelihood of contamination.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Should I use all the bones of the chicken. I have seen a video on you tube a person is making a grounded chicken http://youtu.be/2HBhgeBukjo

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer View Post
my other friend told me that he feed hid cats boiled chicken and no added supplements
Is his cat still alive?! Please try and put a stop to this ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He told me that he give raw max once in a month
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Catlady View Post
It's a diet where you model an entire animal by using animal parts. It consists of 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver, and 5% secreting organ, typically kidney. It's a harder diet to follow, since it's important to get the ratios correct and to provide enough animal variety since you don't use supplements as you would in the ground raw recipe on catinfo.org

Which one are the edible bones

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Cat

Whole chicken is a little high in bone if you aren't adding another source of boneless meat. Start with catinfo.org, as recommended above, as there is a TON of information there. More than enough to get you started. If you follow her recipe, you could safely feed a balanced raw diet for the rest of your cat's life. Though as time goes on and you read and learn more you will probably end up making slight tweaks to better suit you and your cat.

Bones do not have to be edible sized if you are grinding them, but if you are not, you will have to find prey that contains small enough bones for your cat to eat. Edible bones can vary between cats as well. Some will be able to eat bigger bones than others, it just depends on their size and chewing ability. Ground bones will be easier for your cat to eat, as well as give you the ability to give small amounts of bone each day (which makes the risk of constipation or runny stools less likely).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page